A mooring licence is required for private and commercial/club moorings on NSW waterways. You can lodge an application for a mooring licence at any registry or service centre.

Only approved vessels are eligible for private, commercial/club or emergency mooring. Penalties apply for non-compliance.

State-wide Mooring Audit Program

Roads and Maritime is conducting a state-wide audit of moorings from April to September.

A mooring apparatus failure can result in a vessel coming adrift and damaging other moored vessels, maritime infrastructure, the environment or other boating users.

A poorly maintained vessel can sink - polluting the waterways and the environment and become a hazard to navigation.

For more information on the program and what you need to do if you're audited visit the Mooring Audit Program webpage.

New trial of hybrid environmentally-friendly moorings at Shoal Bay

NSW Maritime is trialling a new type of mooring to keep customers safe at their favourite destination, and to protect sensitive seagrass communities. For more information visit the Hybrid Environmentally Friendly Moorings at Shoal Bay webpage.

New NSW Alpine Waters Mooring Scheme

To improve boating access on Alpine Waters, Roads and Maritime Services, in collaboration with Snowy Hydro Ltd, have finalised mooring licensing arrangements for Lake Jindabyne and Lake Eucumbene in line with NSW legislation and state-wide best practice.

We now invite any interested party to apply for a mooring licence by submitting a completed copy of the private (PDF, 195Kb) or commercial (PDF, 215Kb) mooring licence application form.

Visit the NSW Alpine Waters Mooring Scheme webpage for more information.

In this section...

Private moorings

Commercial moorings

Priority waiting lists

Mooring types

Mooring maps

Proving your identity


Documents and forms

Share this page: