Proving your identity
For information on how we manage your personal information please see our Privacy Statement.
This information is also available in a Proof of Identity Fact Sheet (PDF, 123Kb) which you can download.
What is Proof of Identity (POI)?
POI is the first requirement that a customer must meet to obtain the products offered by Transport for NSW. A person must show POI to verify his/her name and signature. Except for PWC licences, applicants do not require POI for renewal of products.
What are the requirements for establishing POI?
To establish POI, individuals must satisfy the POI requirements listed in acceptable POI documents.
Documents presented as POI must show the applicant's signature and current residential address.
Young adults and companies/organisations have special POI requirements (see overleaf).
What are the categories of POI?
There are three types of POI documents: Full, Primary and Secondary.
The applicant must provide either:
- One full POI document or
- At least one primary and one secondary POI document.
Identification documents must be original documents or certified copies.
What are acceptable full proof POI documents (no other document required)?
- A Transport for NSW issued NSW Photo Driver's Licence that is current or not expired more than two years. The licence may be presented as a plastic driver licence card or as a NSW digital driver licence (DDL)
- A Transport for NSW issued Photo Card that is current or not expired more than two years
- A Transport for NSW issued PWC Photo Card Licence that is current or not expired more than two years or
- A Transport for NSW or AMSA issued Certificate of Competency containing a photo of the holder that is current or not expired more than two years.
What are acceptable primary proof POI documents?
- An Australian passport that is current or not expired more than two years
- A Transport for NSW issued NSW Photo Driver's Licence (which may be presented as a plastic driver licence card or a DDL) or NSW Photo card that has expired more than two years
- A Transport for NSW issued PWC Photo Card Licence that has expired more than two years
- A Transport for NSW or AMSA issued Certificate of Competency containing a photo of the holder that has expired more than two years
- A current Document of Identity issued by the Australian Passport Office
- A current overseas passport
- A Transport for NSW issued NSW Photo Firearm, Security Industry or Commercial Agents and Private Agents Operator Licence that is current or not expired more than two years
- A current NSW Police Force or Australian Defence Force Photo Identity Card
- A photo driver's licence issued by another Australian State or Territory that is current or not expired more than two years
- An Australian full birth certificate showing parental details issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. Historic Certificates issued in 1987 and 1988 are also acceptable.
- Commemorative Certificates are not acceptable. A standard Birth Certificate is issued with a Commemorative Certificate as a package, this is the only certificate accepted. See the Births, Deaths and Marriages website for more information.
- A current consular photo identity card issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- An Australian naturalisation or citizenship document or immigration papers issued by the Australian Government
- An overseas birth certificate showing parental details, provided a passport or an official Australian travel document is also shown
- A certificate of Aboriginality issued by an organisation (eg: Land Council) recognised by the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Council
- A current Certificate of Competency issued by another Australian State or Territory that contains a photo of the holder or
- A current boat licence issued by another Australian State or Territory that contains a photo of the holder.
What are acceptable secondary proof POI documents?
- A Transport for NSW issued General Boat Licence that is current or not expired more than two years
- A current Medicare card, Pensioner Concession card, Department of Veteran's Affairs Entitlement card, or any other current entitlement card issued by the Commonwealth Government
- A current credit card that shows your name and signature or account card from a bank, building society or credit union, or a passbook or account statement that is current or not expired more than one year
- A telephone, gas or electricity bill not more than one year old
- A water rates, council rates or land valuation notice not more than two years old
- An electoral enrolment card or other evidence of enrolment not more than two years old
- An armed services discharge document not more than two years old
- A current student identity card or a certificate or statement of enrolment not more than two years old from an educational institution or
- A current Mobility Parking Scheme (MPS) card with or without a photo.
What are acceptable young adult POI documents?
Young adult licence applicants (persons between 12 years and under 16 years of age) can meet POI requirements by providing original documents or certified copies of:
- At least one primary proof and one secondary proof document as listed above or
- An Australian Full Birth Certificate showing parental details issued by the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
Young adult licence applicants must obtain written consent from a parent or legal guardian to obtain a boat licence and acceptable POI documents for the parent or legal guardian must also be provided.
What is the policy regarding company POI?
A company/organisation shows POI by proving its legal status. To prove its legal status it must provide the original or a certified copy of one of the following documents:
- Associated Incorporations – a current Certificate of Incorporation issued by the NSW Office of Fair Trading or its interstate equivalent or ASIC extract;
- Companies – a current Certificate of Company Registration or other evidence (e.g. ASIC extract) and an ACN (Australian Company Number)
Sole traders, trusts and partnerships with a registered business name must supply a copy of the Certificate of Registration of Business Name issued by the NSW Office of Fair Trading or its interstate equivalent or ASIC extract.
Note; they are not legal entities and as such POI for the associated Individual must also be supplied.
A foreign company must provide a Certificate of Registration of a Foreign Company with an Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN).
Which companies/organisations are not required to provide POI?
The following companies/organisations do not need to provide POI:
- Government agencies or departments
- Utility providers
- Credit unions, banks, building societies
- Public hospitals Educational institutions
- Park and cemetery trusts
- County, city, municipal and shire councils
- Volunteer rescue organisations
- Finance or insurance organisations with the word "mutual" or any organisation with the word "corporation" in their name.
Instead of providing POI, these companies/organisations must provide a letter written on the company's/ organisation's letterhead the name of the Act under which they are incorporated, or evidence of the company's/organisation's legal status. For officers acting for government agencies or educational institutions, a document evidencing delegation or authority may also be required.
What is the policy regarding representative’s POI?
If you authorise another person to act as your representative to complete a transaction which requires POI, the same POI requirements apply to the representatives as apply to the applicant.
Who can verify POI documents?
The following are acceptable signatories for witnessing POI documents:
- Any SNSW officer
- Any authorised Justice of the Peace (appointment number must appear on the document)
- Any NSW Police Officer (rank and station stamp must appear on the document)
- Any Judge, Magistrate, Bank Manager, Legal Practitioner or School Principal
- Authorised Licence Testing Officers (for licence tests only)
- Boatcode Agents (for the purpose of affixing/validating a HIN)
- Any Transport for NSW accredited Marine Dealer (for initial vessel registration only).
Applicants unable to attend an service centre in person can lodge applications by mail provided POI has been sighted and verified by an acceptable signatory and must include the following details:
- Document name, number and expiry date or issue date
- Signatory’s name
- Signatory’s title/position
- Provider number/stamp (whichever is applicable)
- Signatory’s signature
For information on how we manage your personal information please see our Privacy Statement,