Get a NSW registration

Certain vessels must be registered with Roads and Maritime Services when occupying navigable waters in NSW. Registration is granted on an annual basis.

Vessels that must be registered

The following vessels must be registered with Roads and Maritime when occupying NSW navigable waters:

  • Power-driven vessels that are powered by an engine with a power rating of 4.0 kilowatts or more (greater than 5 horsepower)
  • Any power-driven or sailing vessel of 5.5 metres or longer
  • Every vessel subject to a mooring licence (including marina berths)
  • Personal watercraft (PWC)

Commercial Vessels

Under the new National Law for Domestic Commercial Vessels, commercial vessels are required to be subject to a Certificate of Operation in lieu of registration.

Who can register a vessel?

You must be at least 16 years old to register a vessel in NSW.

Applying for initial vessel registration

You can apply for an initial vessel registration in person at any registry or Service NSW service centre.
You’ll need to provide:

Proof of vessel acquisition

Proof of vessel acquisition demonstrates your entitlement to register the vessel.
You’ll need to provide a copy of a receipt, bill of sale or consignment note, which includes the following details:

  • Full name and signature of the seller
  • Full name and address of the buyer
  • Date of sale and the words ‘received payment in full’, or similar
  • HIN/Boatcode number (if applicable) and a full description of the vessel.

If the receipt, bill of sale or consignment note does not include all essential requirements, you’ll need to provide another receipt or Statutory Declaration detailing this information.  


While there is no requirement for owners of registered vessels to have compulsory third party insurance in NSW, Roads and Maritime recommends that you take out third party insurance as part of your comprehensive vessel insurance.

Contact your insurer for information.

Share this page: