Boating safety education program
Boating Education Officers (BEO) deliver a Boating Safety Education Program to schools and educational institutes including Scouts and Guides across New South Wales.
The program has been developed by Maritime in accordance with Transport for NSW's Maritime Safety Plan 2017-2021. The objective of the Maritime Safety Plan is to reduce the rate of deaths and serious injuries on NSW waterways by 30 per cent by the end of 2021. It is part of the longer term vision to achieve zero boating fatalities and zero serious injuries by 2056.
Goals of the program
Our key goals are to;
- Educate young people about safe and enjoyable boating, focussing on lifejackets, safety equipment, and boating rules and regulations
- Instil good habits and boating best practice in newcomers to boating or those who would like to get involved
- Raise awareness of boating on different waterways including inland rivers and lakes, oceans and offshore and alpine waters
- Influence boating families to adopt safe practices through delivery of boating education to their children
- Educate young people about emerging safety issues that may be of specific relevance to their region.
To achieve these goals, BEOs run both classroom and outdoor game-based activity sessions in fun and active environments which are highly interactive and reinforce boating safety awareness and messaging. Each session takes around 45-60 minutes per group. BEOs have a range of delivery methods to suit different classes and group sizes, based on the needs and availability of individual schools and groups.
How the program aligns to the school curriculum
The outcomes of the program closely align with the NSW Education Standards Authority Syllabus, which incorporates PDHPE K-10, Stage 4 and 5 Marine Aquaculture Technology Content Endorsed Course (CEC) and Stage 6 Marine Studies CEC.
The program also aligns with the water safety badge requirements for Scouts and Guides.
How to get your school involved
If you are interested in participating in our Boating Safety Education Program, please email email@example.com.
One of our Boating Education Officers from within your local area will then contact you to confirm a date and time, as well as answer any questions you may have.