Inflatable lifejacket self-service clinics
Inflatable lifejackets are easy to wear and comfortable but they require extra care and attention to ensure they will inflate in an emergency.
Did you know?
- In NSW it is a legal requirement to service inflatable lifejackets every year or in accordance with manufacturer's instructions.
- Most inflatable lifejackets can be self-serviced, depending on the manufacturer's guidelines
- Penalties may apply if your lifejacket is found to not have been serviced as required.
About the program
Every year Transport for NSW Boating Education Officers conduct free inflatable lifejacket self-service clinics along NSW coastal areas, lakes and rivers. The clinics aim to promote over awareness of inflatable lifejacket servicing requirements, and provide step-by-step instruction on the self-servicing process.
Transport for NSW's compliance data suggests some recreational boaters are not aware of the legislative requirements for maintain self-inflating lifejackets, or that some forget to carry out the simple routine checks and maintenance schedules specified by the lifejacket manufacturers.
The program is also part of the NSW Government's 'Wear a Lifejacket' campaign, and is aligned with the Maritime Safety Plan.
Due to concerns over the spread of COVID-19, face-to-face inflatable lifejacket self-service clinics have recently been replaced with online livestream clinics where you can view one of our recently recorded sessions below.
Inflatable Lifejacket Self-Service Clinic livestreams (recorded 21 October 2020)
- BCF - Throughout NSW
- C-Kayak Australia - Greater Sydney and Newcastle
- Coffs Harbour Marine - Coffs Harbour
- Complete Angler and Camping Outdoors - Gregory Hills
- Disco Marine - Grafton
- Fraser Marine - Eden
- Hastings Marine - Port Macquarie
- Maclean Outdoors - Maclean
- Manning River Marine - Taree
- North Coast Boating Centre - Urunga
- Ottos Tackle World - Drummoyne
- Riverina Marine Centre - Wagga Wagga
- Sturrocks of Sydney - Rushcutters Bay, Sydney
- Sussex Marine - Sussex Inlet
Do you wish to participate as a retail partner in our Inflatable lifejacket self-service clinic program?
Contact us to register your interest.