Swansea Bridge openings
Opening times, booking details and rules for boats travelling through the Swansea Bridge in NSW Lake Macquarie region.
Weekday opening times
Plan ahead if your vessel needs to pass through Swansea Bridge in the NSW Lake Macquarie region.
To book call (02) 4971 3498.
Monday - Friday schedule
Book at least 1 hour earlier for these times:
- 9am - pm on the hour
- 5pm - 7pm on the hour
Book at least 6 hours earlier for:
- 8pm - 5am on the hour
The bridge will not be opened during peak road traffic times on weekdays at 8am and 4pm.
Weekend and public holiday opening times
The bridge will open to vessels automatically at these times (no booking required):
Book in advance for these times on weekends and public holidays by calling (02) 4971 3498:
- 9am - 3pm on the hour. Book at least 1 hour earlier
- 8pm - 5am on the hour. Book at least 6 hours earlier
All boat operators passing through the bridge must:
- observe navigation rules when approaching the bridge
- keep a safe distance from the opening bridge and wait for a green light before proceeding.
- give priority to vessels travelling with the direction of the tidal flow - but be alert to exceptions. If there are exceptions, the bridge operator will announce it on the PA (public address) system and display a variable message sign. “Make ready” indicates when vessels have priority. 'Keep clear' indicates vessels are to wait.
When a flotilla of vessels is moving through, the bridge may close after 10 minutes to clear road traffic, before reopening again.
NSW Water Police will be notified of any serious breaches to these rules.