Roads and Maritime Services is proposing to upgrade the ferry ramps at the Berowra Water Ferry.
NOV 2019Have your say
Have your say on the proposal for the ferry ramp upgrades is now open for feedback by 5pm Friday 13 December.More information
You can provide your comments by:
- calling us on 1800 861 855 during business hours
- emailing email@example.com
- writing to Berowra Waters Ferry upgrade, Roads and Maritime Services, PO Box 973, Parramatta, NSW, 2124
- attending one of our information sessions
- completing our online survey.
The REF (PDF, 9.29Mb) can be viewed online and is on display at:
- Service NSW Centres 324 Peats Ferry Rd, Hornsby
- Hornsby Shire Council: 296 Peats Ferry Road Hornsby
- Libraries: Berowra Library: Community Centre, The Gully Rd, Berowra Hornsby Central Library: 28-44 George St, Hornsby
The Berowra Water Ferry delivers an essential service to the local community and visitors. The ferry provides safe passage over Berowra Creek to 23,000 vehicles and almost 4,000 pedestrians each month.
The ferry ramps have been in place for around 10 years and are at the end of their life. We need to upgrade them to continue providing a safe and reliable ferry service to the local community and visitors.
The work would take six weeks and would require the ferry to be closed during this time.
While we are carrying out the work, we would:
- close the ferry service for six weeks, requiring a significant detour
- build temporary dams around each of the ramps, also known as cofferdams, to pump out the water so we have a dry work environment to carry out the upgrades
- set up temporary buildings on both sides of the creek for workers and to store equipment
- do as much work offsite as possible, for example making the new ramps, to help speed up the process and reduce the impact on the local community.
The new ramps will extend the lifespan of the Berowra Water Ferry service another 10 years, with ongoing maintenance.
The project would:
- replace the eastern and western ferry ramps at Berowra Waters – the new ramps would be built over the existing structures
- install underwater barriers around the new ramps to reduce wear and tear from tides and sediment
- resurface the road approach to the new ferry ramps
- update the line marking on the road approaching the ferry ramps.
The project would:
- ensure a safe, reliable ferry service
- extend the lifespan of the ferry
- help keep visitors coming to the local area.
The work we are proposing is significant. It would be inconvenient for the community and local businesses, but is necessary to continue delivering a safe, reliable ferry service.
We are asking for your view on when the work could be carried out:
- Option 1: Between Tuesday 8 April and Tuesday 20 May 2020 (during the Easter School Holidays)
- Option 2: Between Monday 18 May and Monday 29 June 2020.
We also want to know:
- how you use the ferry
- how our work will impact you
- what would help while the ferry is closed.
Complete our online survey
You can also provide comments by:
- Calling us on 1800 861 855 during business hours
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Writing to Berowra Waters Ferry upgrade, Roads and Maritime Services, PO Box 973, Parramatta, NSW, 2124
Talk to the project team and attend one of our information sessions:
Thursday 28 November – 4pm – 8pm
Berowra Waters Fish Cafe,
199 Bay Rd, Berowra Waters
Saturday 30 November – 10am – 2pm
Berowra Community and Cultural Centre,
The Gully Rd, Berowra.
We will consider all feedback received during the consultation and this will inform our work going forward.
In early 2020 we will release the Community Consultation Report.
We will continue to keep the community updated as the project processes.
November 2019 community update
Ensuring a safe and reliable ferry service – Have your say.
|19 November 2019 - Have your say on Berowra Waters ferry maintenance||22.3Kb|
For more information please contact the project team on:
Phone: 1800 861 855