Transport for NSW has identified some ways to improve the reliability of buses along the Miranda to Hurstville via Blakehurst and Sylvania bus corridor.
As a part of this program, Transport for NSW and Roads and Maritime Services, in consultation with bus operators and local councils are proposing to make changes to some bus stops on the Princes Highway in Blakehurst and Sylvania.
The proposed changes to bus stops are mainly serviced by bus routes 970 and 971.
These changes support Future Transport 2056 Strategy, which is the NSW government's plan to deliver the future transport network. In this plan, a key customer outcome is safety and performance, which seeks to ensure that every customer enjoys safe travel across a high performing and efficient network. It also reflects what our customers tell us about bus services, with travel time and on time running being some of the most important service features.
The proposed changes aim to strike a balance between maintaining a reasonable walking distance (i.e. within a 400m radius or an average five minute walk) to bus stops and an efficient bus network.
Making adjustments to the number of bus stops along a bus corridor also helps improve bus travel times. Each bus stop location is considered with a focus on the safety of bus customers and motorists.
Key outcomes of the bus stop changes include:
- making travel times more reliable for bus customers
- improving customer and motorist safety for bus operations
- contributing to the NSW Government's target of 95 per cent on time running bus services.
Princes Highway, Blakehurst
The bus stop changes on the Princes Highway, Blakehurst would include:
- removal of the southbound bus stop ID 222154 between Beach Street and Torrens Street as there are alternative bus stops within 220m and 215m. Replace with 'No Stopping'
- removal of the northbound bus stop 1D 222160 between Hatfield street and towards Water Street, as there are alternative bus stops within 200m. Replace with 'No Stopping'.
Princes Highway, Sylvania
The bus stop changes on the Princes Highway in Sylvania would include:
- removal of the southbound bus stop ID 222413 at the Southgate Shopping Centre, as there are alternative bus stops within 270m and 415m. Replace with 'No Stopping'
- removal of the southbound bus stop ID 2224114 after Harley Street as there are alternative bus stops within 115m and 330m. Replace with 'No Stopping'
- removal of the northbound bus stop ID 222445 opposite Lisbon Street as there are alternative bus stops within 150m and 390m. Replace with 'No Stopping'.
The consultation closed on 15 December 2019. We will consider all feedback and respond in a community consultation report, which will be available in early 2020.
We will continue to liaise with the community as the project progresses.
If you have any questions or would like more information please contact the bus priority team on:
- Phone: 1800 575 250
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org