The NSW Government is upgrading the Blaxland Road and First Avenue intersection. This work will ease congestion and improve traffic flow, travel times and road safety.
OCT 2019Current work
Roads and Maritime Services is widening First Avenue around Ryedale Road to lengthen the left hand turn bay from First Avenue onto Blaxland Road. We are also changing the lane markings on Blaxland Road to create a second right turning lane onto First Avenue.More information
This project began in January and was scheduled to be completed at the end of November 2019. However, we have experienced some delays and now expect to finish work in March 2020.
We will be working for up to five nights a week for 50 shifts between Thursday 24 October and Friday 27 March 2020, weather permitting. We will not work on public holidays.
Our work hours will be between 7am and 6pm Monday to Friday, Saturday between 8am and 1pm and between 6pm and 7am Sunday to Friday.
Blaxland Road and First Avenue, Eastwood map
The NSW Government is upgrading the intersection of Blaxland Road and First Avenue at Eastwood as part of its $300 million Urban Roads Pinch Point Program which will ease congestion and improve travel times on Sydney’s busiest corridors.
To provide a more reliable and predictable journey, queue lengths will be reduced by:
- creating a dual right turn from Blaxland Road to First Avenue by changing the current lane configuration
- extending the left turn lane from First Avenue onto Blaxland Road by 100 metres
Safety will also be improved at the intersection by:
- reducing the number of rear end crashes caused by motorists changing lanes
- enlarging the concrete median making crossing safer for pedestrians.
The upgrade of the intersection of Blaxland Road at First Avenue at Eastwood will deliver:
- two right turn lanes from Blaxland Road into First Avenue
- 100 metre extension of the left turn lane from First Avenue onto Blaxland Road
- 50 metre extension to the centre median on the northbound approach of Blaxland Road
- larger central raised medians on Blaxland Road and First Avenue
- upgraded traffic lights
- reconstructed footpath and traffic islands
- road marking.
Two site compounds are established on Roads and Maritime Services land; one at the corner of First Avenue and Ryedale Road, the second at First Avenue and Blaxland Road.
There will be temporary traffic changes during work hours to ensure the work zone is safe. Please keep to speed limits and follow signs and traffic controller directions. For the latest traffic updates, call 132 701, visit livetraffic.com or download the Live Traffic NSW app.
Roads and Maritime would like to thank everyone who took the time to consider the Blaxland Road proposals and provide feedback.
The community was invited to comment on proposed improvements to Blaxland Road and First Avenue as well as on Blaxland Road at Balaclava Road and Ball Avenue, Eastwood in August and September 2017.
Reports that summarise the feedback received and responses are now available:
- Blaxland Road, Balaclava Road and Ball Avenue community consultation report (PDF, 2Mb)
- Blaxland Road and First Avenue community consultation report (PDF, 2.02Mb)
Detailed design plans and an environmental assessment for the upgrade of the intersection of Blaxland Road and First Avenue have also now been finalised.
We will continue to keep the community informed as the project progresses.
For more information about this project please contact Ward Civil:
Phone: 1300 919 508
Post: PO Box 1067 North Ryde BC 1670.