Roads and Maritime Services has completed the new Burrill Lake Bridge on the Princes Highway, just south of Ulladulla. Construction of this $58 million project was complete in March 2018.
MAR 2018Celebrating completion
Roads and Maritime Services celebrated the completion of the Burrill Lake Bridge replacement project at an event on 27 March 2018.
Since opening the new bridge to traffic in late 2017, we have recently removed the old bridge and causeway, completed roundabouts, completed local road accesses, completed parking spaces, completed pedestrian and cycle paths, completed landscaping and the southern foreshore community platform. Lions Park will be completed when the site office is removed in April 2018.
View the March 2018 Community Update (PDF, 207Kb).
The southern section of the old bridge has been transformed into a foreshore park for the community to enjoy. The plaque from the old causeway was also presented to the Milton and Ulladulla Historical Society.
Minor asphalting work and removal of the site office at Lions Park is planned in April 2018.
Roads and Maritime Services consulted closely with the community, including pedestrians and cyclists, during the design and development stages of the new Burrill Lake Bridge.
The Burrill Lake – access for pedestrians and cyclists document (PDF, 293Kb) shows where features for pedestrians and cyclists are located.
Key features of the project include:
- A 290 metre long bridge spanning the lake on a new alignment to the east of the existing bridge
- Roundabouts on either side of the crossing to connect the A1 Princes Highway to local roads
- A pedestrian and cycle path on the new bridge, connecting to new paths on both sides and linking to the Ulladulla cycle path
- Pedestrian paths underneath both ends of the new bridge. There would be a total of five locations where pedestrians can safely cross the highway
- The new bridge and highway would be higher than the future 1 in 100 year flood level and reduce the impact of flooding
- Complete removal of the existing causeway and bridge
- A southern foreshore park on the existing bridge approach.
Benefits of the project include:
- Improving the overall reliability of the Princes Highway on the south coast by reducing future maintenance issues
- Providing a lake crossing and road approaches designed above the 1 in 100 year flood level
- Improving road safety by providing new intersections to modern safety standards connecting the Princes Highway to local roads
- Providing improved pedestrian and cyclist access and safety.
September 2017 project notification
Moving traffic onto the new Burrill Lake Bridge between Wednesday 27 September 2017 and Wednesday 4 October 2017.
May 2017 community update
Burrill Lake Bridge Princes Highway upgrade.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: (02) 4221 2506 (business hours – Peter Townsend, Project Manager)
Mail: Roads and Maritime Services, PO Box 477 Wollongong NSW 2520