The NSW Government is proposing improvements at the intersection of Showground Road and Carrington Road, Castle Hill, as part of the Bus Priority Infrastructure Program, which aims to improve the reliability and efficiency of bus services, while easing congestion for all road users.
We will be carrying out ground survey, geotechnical and utility investigations between Monday 23 April and Friday 18 May 2018 at the intersection of Showground Road and Carrington Road. For information on our work please view or download the April 2018 community update (PDF, 296Kb).
The original bus infrastructure improvements proposal to the intersection of Showground Road and Carrington Road included:
- widening the north side of Showground Road to provide two eastbound through lanes and two right turn lanes onto Carrington Road
- providing a westbound bus lane along Showground Road about 60 metres either side of Precinct B Street
- providing a dedicated westbound left turn lane, buses excepted, on Showground Road for southbound access onto Carrington Road
- widening the west side of Carrington Road to provide two right turn lanes onto Showground Road eastbound, a new dedicated left turn lane onto Showground Road westbound with a new signalised pedestrian crossing, two southbound exit lanes, a new traffic island and upgraded signalised pedestrian crossings on Showground Road
- lane resurfacing and upgraded pedestrian crossings
- providing a 2.5 metre wide shared footpath and cycleway along the northern side of Showground Road for the extent of the proposed roadworks
- relocating the northbound bus stop on Carrington Road for the proposed Showground Metro Station interchange
- removing some trees and some parking.
After considering the feedback received through the consultation process along with the proposal’s aims and design requirements, we have decided to proceed with the proposed intersection improvements of Showground Road and Carrington Road, Castle Hill, including the following changes to the original proposal:
- extending the scope of the proposal along Carrington Road from 180 metres to 240 metres up to the intersection with Middleton Avenue
- the proposed ‘shared path’ on the north side of Showground Road is now a ‘widened footpath’ to align with adjacent road works on Showground Road.
- extending the scope of the proposal to the north of Showground Road to provide for necessary stormwater drainage work
- improve the reliability of bus services and journey times through the intersection
- help ease congestion and improve travel times for all road users, particularly during peak periods
- improve pedestrian safety and the flow of traffic along Showground Road
- complement the road upgrades currently being carried out by Roads and Maritime Services on Showground Road, between Carrington Road and Old Northern Road, Castle Hill.
- improve access to the proposed Showground Metro Station.
Roads and Maritime Services invited feedback in June 2017 on proposed bus infrastructure improvements at the intersection of Showground Road and Carrington Road, Castle Hill.
We received responses from 29 community members. Key areas of interest for community members included general project support, stakeholder and community consultation, proposal design and scope, environmental considerations, project justification and cost.
We have directly responded to questions or concerns raised and thank everyone for considering the proposal and for providing their feedback. A community consultation report has been prepared, summarising the matters raised.
We will continue to keep the community informed as the project progresses.
April 2018 community notifcation
Showground Road, Castle Hill traffic improvements.
February 2018 project update
Intersection upgrade at Showground Road and Carrington Road, Castle Hill.
For further information about this project contact via:
Phone: 1800 575 250