Transport for NSW is planning to upgrade the Central Coast Highway for 3.8 kilometres between Wamberal and Bateau Bay. The proposal will see the highway upgraded to two lanes in both directions between the Tumbi Road intersection and Bateau Bay Road intersection to improve travel time and safety for 26,500 motorists who use this section of highway daily.
DEC 2020Consultation Summary Report now available
The Community Consultation Summary Report for the project is now available to view.
The report provides a summary of the community consultation carried out by Transport for NSW in June and July 2020 to seek feedback on the initial design for proposed 3.8 kilometre upgrade of the Central Coast Highway between Wamberal and Bateau Bay.
A total of 223 responses were received from the community.
More information can be found in the December 2020 Community Consultation Summary Report (PDF, 523Kb).
All responses will be considered as we move into the next stage of the design.
The community will have another chance to comment when the Review of Environmental Factors (REF) and updated design is displayed for comment for the Tumbi Road intersection in 2021, and the remainder of the proposal in 2022.
The NSW Government committed $387 million in March 2019 to duplicate the Central Coast Highway between Wamberal and Bateau Bay.
The NSW Government has invested $4 million to enable Transport to progress early planning for this project.
Around 26,500 motorists use this section of the highway daily and this upgrade will ensure the Central Coast Highway between Wamberal and Bateau Bay is prepared to handle future growth.
- Improved consistent travel time and reducing congestion between Wamberal and Bateau Bay
- Reduced delays at key intersections
- Improved road user safety
- Safer cycling and pedestrian facilities, particularly near intersections
- Enhancing economic growth and productivity, particularly during busy holiday times
New Traffic lights at:
- Tumbi Road intersection
- Crystal Street intersection
- Forresters Beach Road intersection
- Bellevue Road intersection
- Passage Road / Coleridge Road intersection
- Existing traffic lights at Bateau Bay Road will be modified
- Cresthaven Avenue roundabout upgraded to two through lanes in both directions on the Highway.
Left in - left out only at:
- Bakali Road intersection
- Alistair Avenue intersection
- Coleridge Road (north entry) intersection
Dedicated right turn lane in and out at:
- Apollo Resort Entry, Wamberal
- Mistview Circuit intersection
- Whalans Road intersection
Dedicated right turn lane in and u-turn facility at:
- Maas Parade
- New indented bus bays north and south of the Tumbi Road intersection
- New indented bus bays on the northern side of Passage and Coleridge Road intersection.
- Existing bus bay on Tumbi Road approach removed
- Existing bus bay on southern side of Bellevue Road removed
- 3 metres wide on the whole length of the eastern side (3.8 km)
- 1.5 metre wide footpath on whole length of western side (3.3km), except between Bellevue Road and Passage Road
On road cycleway/shoulder:
- 2 metre wide on-road cycleway in both directions between Tumbi Road and Cresthaven Avenue.