Transport for NSW Maritime is proposing a major upgrade to the Coffs Harbour Regional Boat to increase the size of the ramp, provide more facilities and improve parking options.
The proposed project will be designed and constructed in two stages during 2021 and 2022
Stage 1 (2nd quarter 2021) would include:
- Extending the existing breakwater by 75m
- Widening the existing boat ramp, adding an additional two lanes
- New top surface over the existing boat ramp area
- Extending the existing pontoon
- Adding two new pontoons
- Dredging the existing boat ramp basin and channel as part of an ongoing dredging program at this site
Stage 2 (early 2022) would include:
- Extending the existing main carpark to include additional parking for cars, boats and trailers
- New carpark entrance at the western end of the carpark
- Blocking the entry adjacent to the boat ramp off Jordan Esplanade (for safety reasons)
- Diverting traffic along Jordan Esplanade road opposite the main carpark
- New road signage
- New rigging and de-rigging bays around the main carpark
- A new shared pathway (2.5m) for walking/cycling
- New amenities facility
- New Lighting and signage
- Recreational furniture including seating and tables
- Pedestrian pathway on south side of Jordan Esplanade with access to Gallows beach carpark and to amenities facility in the main carpark area
- Extending services, including water, power and sewerage
A strategic plan for Stages 1 and 2 of the project was developed to guide the project from planning to construction. A Review of Environmental Factors (REF) has assessed the project to understand social, environmental and financial impacts and is now on display for public comment from Monday 30 November-Sunday 20 December 2020. We invite residents, boat ramp users, local government and anyone with an interest in this popular community space to provide feedback on the REF.
The REF can be accessed by:
- viewing or downloading a copy of the REF (PDF, 52.9Mb)
- reading a copy of the REF at the Harry Bailey Memorial Library, Cnr Coff and, Duke Streets, Coffs Harbour. The library hours are Monday to Friday 10:00 am to 12:00 noon and 1:00pm to 5:00pm, and Saturday from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon.
- reading a copy at NSW Maritime Head Office at 33 James Craig Road, Rozelle NSW 2039
Please send your feedback to the project team by 20 December 2020 via:
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: Coffs Harbour Boat Ramp, Transport-Maritime, Locked Bag 5100, Camperdown, NSW 1450
- Phone: 1300 778 928 Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm
The Coffs Harbour boat ramp is located) in a small basin on the southern side of the harbour. The original boat ramp and basin was constructed in the mid-1970s, and there is a history of reports by boaters of the difficulties launching and retrieving boats and navigating vessels through the entrance channel to the boat ramp.
The boat ramp basin regularly suffered from water level surges, making it difficult to secure boats coming into or leaving the ramp and operational difficulties were also experienced in the vicinity of the boat ramp during times that north-easterly swell entered the harbour.
In 2015 the boat ramp basin was extended to reduce some of impacts of the wave action on the structure. There are still impacts from the waves, particularly during low tide that are being addressed by the upgrades proposed in this project.
The Coffs Harbour Regional Boat Ramp Precinct Enhancement Committee (CHRBRPEC) comprises local boat ramp users who have a vision to develop the boat ramp precinct into a world class facility that will meet existing and future demands from local and visiting mariners.
The CHRBRPEC identified the need to upgrade the boat ramp to address safety and congestion concerns after a number of boating incidents. In particular over the 2018 Easter holiday period, over a dozen boats were washed onto rocks at the entrance to the boat ramp basin. Harbour City Council (CHCC) have endorsed the need for the project, and funding has been approved by Transport for NSW to undertake improvement works at the boat ramp facility.
You can contact the project team in the following ways:
Phone: 1300 778 928 Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm
Mail: Coffs Harbour Boat Ramp, Transport-Maritime, Locked Bag 5100, Camperdown, NSW 1450