The $86 million Ellerton Drive extension project started construction in November 2017. The Australian and NSW governments have each committed $25 million towards the project while Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council has committed $36 million. The 4.6km road provides an alternative route around the Queanbeyan CBD to the new southern population growth areas. The new road will open by mid-July 2020.
JUL 2020Ellerton Drive extension to open by mid-July
Here's a video behind the scenes with the project team.More information
For more information about what to expect, please view the frequently asked questions (PDF, 122Kb).
Minor work will be carried out after the road is open, please follow the direction of traffic controllers, posted speed limits and signage.
The Ellerton Drive extension is a local road project in the Queanbeyan-Palerang local government area.
In June 2014, the Australian and NSW governments announced a joint funding contribution towards the project. Roads and Maritime Services is assisting Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council during the construction phase by managing the construction contract.
The project will extend Ellerton Drive to connect Queanbeyan East with Karabar at the Edwin Land Parkway intersection with Old Cooma Road. The project also involves an upgrade of the existing Ellerton Drive.
The 4.6km project will provide an alternative route around the central business district connecting east and west Queanbeyan to the new southern population growth areas. Queanbeyan’s population is expected to grow to 56,000 by 2031 with Tralee and Googong developments underway. The Ellerton Drive extension will minimise the impact of this expected population growth on traffic congestion. Without the extension increased congestion is predicted along Cooma Street and across the Queens Bridge.
- Motorists will be able to avoid up to 19 intersections and three sets of traffic lights
- Up to a 35 per cent travel time saving compared to the existing route
- The road will be 80km/h, avoiding the 50km/h sections of Queanbeyan central business district as well as school zones
- The works will create an extra bridge crossing of the Queanbeyan River, built to withstand a one in 100 year flood event
- Minimise heavy vehicles travelling through the central business district
- Reduced congestion in Queanbeyan.
- One lane in each direction with climbing lanes
- Bridge crossing over Queanbeyan River and Barracks Flat Drive
- Shared off-road cyclist and pedestrian pathway
- Space for on-road cyclists
- Additional access points for Fairlane Estate
- Emergency access for Greenleigh Estate at Lonergan Drive and the East Queanbeyan reservoir
- Construction of storm water drainage systems
- Three fauna under-passes and three rope crossings
- Edwin Land Parkway intersection upgrade.
January 2020 project notification
Ellerton Drive, East Queanbeyan - road work and temporary day closures from Monday 13 January.
August 2019 project notification
Ellerton Drive, East Queanbeyan road work and temporary closure continuing until late September 2019.
April 2019 project notification
Ellerton Drive, East Queanbeyan – Notification of temporary road closure from Wednesday 8 May 2019.
April 2018 project notification
Ellerton Drive extension – increased construction activity.
March 2018 project notification
Ellerton Drive Extension – progress update.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)