The NSW Government is replacing the Camp Street Bridge over Lake Forbes to improve safety for all road users. The $12.8 million project involves building a new wider bridge with wider lanes and pedestrian and cycle paths.
JUN 2020Project Update
The NSW Government is funding $12.8 million to replace the Camp Street Bridge to provide a stronger, longer lasting bridge.More information
The deck and footpaths on the new bridge have been completed and all of the concrete has been poured. The lights have been installed and the hand rail will be put in place mid-June.
A heritage area has been created to commemorate the old Camp Street Bridge. This area includes some of the old lamp posts, interpretative signage, table and chairs and a seat made from one of the old timber piles found during demolition of the old bridge.
Forbes Shire Council is carrying out the road work on behalf of Transport for NSW and has now started work on the road approach on Camp Street.
There is currently no pedestrian access across Bridge Street while road work is carried out.
Abergeldie Pty Ltd is carrying out the bridge work on behalf of Transport for NSW.
The new bridge and all other associated work is still on track to be completed and open to traffic and pedestrians by August 2020, weather permitting.
The Camp Street Bridge was built in 1927 and is now in poor condition due to age.
A new bridge is needed to meet current design standards and improve safety for motorists and pedestrians into the future.
A new bridge across Lake Forbes will improve safety for motorists, pedestrians and reduce future maintenance requirements.
The project involves building a new, wider bridge across Lake Forbes with wider travel lanes and pedestrian/cyclist paths.
The design includes landscaping suitable to the surrounding lakeside environment. The lamp posts from the existing bridge will be incorporated in the design to complement the town's heritage aesthetics.
- Improving road user safety through wider travel lanes, improved road approaches and pedestrian/cyclist paths across the new bridge
- Improving connections for pedestrians and cyclists between both sides of Lake Forbes
- Reduced ongoing maintenance costs
- Improved environmental outcomes by managing stormwater runoff from the road into Lake Forbes
- Retaining the lamp posts in the landscape design on the approach to bridge, to reference the past and link the bridge to the heritage aesthetic of the town
- Unique design to provide an iconic structure for the Forbes community for the future.
April 2020 project notification
Road work on Bridge Street at Forbes from Tuesday 14 April.
Frequently asked questions
August 2019 frequently asked questions
Camp Street Bridge replacement.
|New bridge to drive safer Lake Forbes crossing - 18 May 2020||37.5Kb|
For more information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 167 499.