The NSW Government is replacing the Camp Street Bridge over Lake Forbes to improve safety for all road users. The $12.8 million project involves building a new wider bridge with wider lanes and pedestrian and cycle paths.
AUG 2019Construction to commence
Construction of the new Camp Street Bridge over Lake Forbes will start on Monday 26 August 2019.
The $12.8 million project will replace the existing bridge and improve safety for road users.
The project involves building a new, wider bridge across Lake Forbes with wider lanes and pedestrian and cycle paths, which will improve safety for motorists and pedestrians.More information
The design includes landscaping suitable to the lakeside environment and the lamp posts from the existing bridge will be incorporated in the design to complement the town’s heritage aesthetics.
The existing Camp Street Bridge was built in 1927 and is narrow and in poor condition due to age.
The contract for the project has been awarded to Abergeldie Contractors Ptd Ltd.
Construction of the road approaches and landscaping will be carried out by Forbes Shire Council on behalf of Roads and Maritime Services.
The new bridge will be completed by August 2020, weather permitting.
The community is invited to attend a drop in session where they will be able to speak with the project team and find out more information about the bridge construction at the following locations:
- Saturday August 10 between 8am and 12.30pm at the Rotary Markets, Lions Park Forbes and between 1.30pm and 4pm outside Bernardi’s Supermarket on Lachlan Street
- Thursday August 15 between 4pm and 8pm outside Bernardi’s Supermarket on Lachlan Street.
The Camp Street Bridge was built in 1927 and is now in poor condition due to age.
A new bridge is needed to meet current design standards and improve safety for motorists and pedestrians into the future.
A new bridge across Lake Forbes will improve safety for motorists, pedestrians and reduce future maintenance requirements.
The project involves building a new, wider bridge across Lake Forbes with wider travel lanes and pedestrian/cyclist paths.
The design includes landscaping suitable to the surrounding lakeside environment. The lamp posts from the existing bridge will be incorporated in the design to complement the town's heritage aesthetics.
- Improving road user safety through wider travel lanes, improved road approaches and pedestrian/cyclist paths across the new bridge
- Improving connections for pedestrians and cyclists between both sides of Lake Forbes
- Reduced ongoing maintenance costs
- Improved environmental outcomes by managing stormwater runoff from the road into Lake Forbes
- Retaining the lamp posts in the landscape design on the approach to bridge, to reference the past and link the bridge to the heritage aesthetic of the town
- Unique design to provide an iconic structure for the Forbes community for the future.
Frequently asked questions
August 2019 frequently asked questions
Camp Street Bridge replacement.
For more information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 1800 167 499.