The Australian and NSW governments are investing in the upgrade and development of the section of the Pacific Highway (Maitland Road) known as Hexham Straight between Newcastle Inner City Bypass and Hexham Bridge.
DEC 2020Feedback invited on the strategic design
Transport for NSW is inviting feedback from the community on the initial designs for the proposed Hexham Straight widening project with comments closing 5 pm on Friday 5 February 2021.
Further information about the project, including maps of the strategic designs, can be accessed by downloading our latest project update.
Individual phone meetings can also be booked with project team representatives by calling 1800 515 141 (during business hours) to make an appointment
Feedback received from the community will be considered in finalising the preferred option and developing the concept design and Review of Environmental Factors (REF) for the project.
The Pacific Highway (Maitland Road) is a critical link from the Port of Newcastle to the National Land Transport Network and is among the busiest transport corridors carrying some of the highest traffic volumes in the Hunter.
The proposed six kilometre-long project would improve traffic flow along this critical route, deliver more reliable travel times for freight, and increase safety for all road users, including cyclists and pedestrians.
The proposed scope of the Hexham Straight project involves the addition of an extra lane in both directions, removal of the existing bridges and construction of two new bridges at Ironbark Creek, adjustments to connecting roads as well as significant utility relocation.
Timing for construction is not confirmed and would be dependent on planning approval, future traffic needs and funding availability.
The proposed improvements at Hexham include:
- Upgrades to the six kilometre section of the Pacific Highway between the Newcastle Inner City Bypass and Hexham Bridge.
- Widening of the dual carriageway from two lanes to three lanes in each direction
- Demolition of the existing Ironbark bridge and construction of two new bridges at Ironbark Creek
- Minor intersection upgrades and property adjustments
- Utility relocation.
Key benefits of the proposal include:
- improved connection between Pacific Highway (Maitland Road) known as Hexham Straight between Newcastle Inner City Bypass and Hexham Bridge
- improved traffic flow for motorists and freight for more reliable travel times
- improved accessibility to the surrounding road network
- improved safety for all road users
During the next phase of the project we will:
- consider all feedback received during the consultation period
- publicly display the concept design and Review of Environmental Factors (REF) in 2021
- continue to consult with property owners, residents and other impacted stakeholders
- ensure the community is kept informed as planning progresses
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: 1800 515 141 (during business hours)
Mail: Hexham Straight Project Manager, Transport for NSW, Locked Bag 2030, Newcastle NSW 2300