The NSW Government has funded this work as part of the $300 million Urban Roads Pinch Points Program, which aims to reduce congestion and improve travel time on Sydney’s busiest corridors.
SEP 2018Improvement work completed
Roads and Maritime Services has finished improvement work to upgrade the right turn bay from Hume Highway into Homebush Road.
We started work on improving the intersection in May. Thanks to good planning and support from the community and motorists, we were able to complete the project on time.
For more information please view or download the latest community update (PDF, 852Kb).
The NSW Government has committed $300 million to the Urban Roads Pinch Points Program, which aims to reduce congestion and improve travel time on Sydney’s busiest corridors.
With approximately 58,000 motorists using the Hume Highway between Centenary Drive and The Boulevarde each day, this corridor is crucial to keeping people moving around Greater Sydney. However, it has a number of ‘pinch points’ that we are working hard to improve.
Increased traffic was causing the right turn bay from Hume Highway into Homebush Road to overflow and block traffic from moving freely in the neighbouring lanes, creating delays at the intersection.
By extending this existing right turn bay by about 120 metres, more vehicles can now safely queue to turn right into Homebush Road, helping to keep traffic moving on the Hume Highway towards Ashfield.
This project includes:
- extending the existing right turn lane on Hume Highway in to Homebush Road by about 120 metres
- retaining parking on the western side of Homebush Road between the Hume Highway and High Street, during the morning peak period from 8am to 10am; and
- retaining parking on the eastern side of Homebush Road between the Hume Highway and High Street during the afternoon peak period from 4pm to 6pm
- new linemarking and signs.
The project will:
- help keep traffic flowing towards Ashfield
- reduce travel times and provide a more reliable journey for road users
- reduce congestion and improve traffic flow at the intersection by allowing more vehicles to queue in the extended right turn bay.
In November 2017, Roads and Maritime invited feedback from local businesses, residents and stakeholders on a proposal for intersection improvements on the Hume Highway and Homebush Road, Strathfield.
Following assessment of this feedback, Roads and Maritime have decided to proceed with the project with the following changes.
We will retain all parking spaces on both sides of Homebush Road as a result of community feedback including:
- retaining eight parking spaces on the western side of Homebush Road between the Hume Highway and High Street during the morning peak period from 8am to 10am
- retaining 12 parking spaces on the eastern side of Homebush Road between the Hume Highway and High Street during the afternoon peak period from 4pm to 6pm.
A copy of the community consultation report (PDF, 1.13Mb) which summarises the feedback and responses has been released along with a community notification (PDF, 258Kb) that was distributed to residents notifying them of this outcome.
September 2018 community update
Travel time savings on Hume Highway in Strathfield.
May 2018 community update
Night intersection work on Hume Highway and Homebush Road, Strathfield from Friday 4 May 2018.
November 2017 community update
Have your say on intersection improvements on the Hume Highway and Homebush Road, Strathfield.
For more information on this project please contact our delivery partner, Ventia Boral Amey Joint Venture, on:
Phone: 1800 677 700
Post: Ventia Boral Amey Joint Venture C&SE, PO Box 838, Rockdale NSW 2216