M1 Pacific Motorway Upgrades - Weakleys Drive and John Renshaw Drive intersection
Roads and Maritime Services has upgraded the M1 Pacific Motorway at the Weakleys Drive and John Renshaw Drive intersection at Beresfield. The new traffic lights improve traffic flow, travel times and safety for motorists.
This project was one of three M1 Upgrades providing a better and more reliable journey on one of Australia’s busiest roads.
Updates and announcements
The upgrade was completed in March 2019. Roads and Maritime thanks the community for its patience during construction of this important upgrade. The final May 2019 construction update (PDF, 998Kb) is available to view or download
The upgrade was completed in March 2019. Roads and Maritime thanks the community for its patience during construction of this important upgrade.
The final May 2019 construction update (PDF, 998Kb) is available to view or download
The M1 Pacific Motorway is an important link for motorists travelling between Sydney and Brisbane, which is one of the busiest transport routes in Australia.
The Weakleys Drive and John Renshaw Drive intersection is the critical connection between the M1, Pacific Highway, New England Highway and local industrial and business areas. The two lane roundabout was used by about 4000 vehicles per hour in peak periods and was no longer effectively catering for the level of demand.
This project is part of the M1 Upgrades, which also includes upgrading the M1 between the Tuggerah and Doyalson interchanges and between the Kariong and Somersby interchanges. The M1 Upgrades make up the $391.6 million M1 Productivity Package funded by the Australian and NSW governments to improve traffic flow and safety on the M1.
Key features and benefits
The project involved:
- replacing the roundabout with traffic lights
- two through lanes on all approaches
- additional turning lanes on all approaches, including two right turn lanes from the motorway to John Renshaw Drive
- extending the two northbound lanes on Weakleys Drive from the traffic lights to Enterprise Drive
- upgrading the existing left turn slip lane from John Renshaw Drive to the motorway to improve safety
- an additional left turn lane from John Renshaw Drive to the motorway to manage times of peak holiday southbound traffic
- on-road provisions for cyclists.
Key benefits of the upgrade include:
- improved traffic capacity and safety at the intersection
- improved freight and traffic flow and more reliable travel times through the intersection
- compatibility with future upgrades across the road network.