Roads and Maritime Services has completed the safety upgrades and road improvements on the Great Western Highway between Hartley Valley and Forty Bends. The project was part of the $250 million upgrade package on the Great Western Highway, jointly funded by the Australian and NSW governments.
- Improvements along the existing highway, including changes to curves to make them safer
- Precast arch structure over Whites Creek and concrete pavement at Forty Bends to lessen the risk of black ice formation
- Five main intersection upgrades:
- Coxs River Road and Ambermere Drive
- Baaners Lane and Browns Gap Road
- Old Bathurst Road
- Jenolan Caves Road and Blackmans Creek Road
- Daintree Close
- More arrows and reflective markers on the highway to provide clear definition of lanes
- Provision of concrete and wire rope safety barriers
- Improved road surface.
- Contractor: Roads and Maritime Services appointed Seymour Whyte Constructions Pty Ltd
- Start date of major construction: December 2014
- Completion date: October 2017
- Project value: $133.2million
- Australian Government contribution: $120.7 million
- NSW State Government contribution: $12.5 million.
Out of hours work on the Great Western Highway safety upgrade from Hartley Valley to Forty Bends, from Tuesday 1 August 2017.
May 2016 project notification
Construction continues on the Great Western Highway safety upgrade from Hartley Valley to Forty Bends.
February 2016 project notification
Construction update – Hartley Valley to Forty Bends safety upgrade.
January 2017 project update
Mount Victoria village, Hartley Valley to Forty Bends upgrade Great Western Highway.
December 2014 project update
Hartley Valley to Forty Bends - start of work.
November 2013 project update
Hartley Valley safety upgrade - Review of environmental factors.
October 2012 community update
Mount Victoria to Lithgow- Great Western Highway upgrade.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
July 2016 frequently asked questions
Great Western Highway Hartley Valley to Forty Bends safety upgrade.
October 2014 addendum review of environmental factors report
Whites Creek Crossing.