The NSW Government is upgrading Memorial Avenue to a four lane road to meet the future transport needs of Sydney’s north west.
OCT 2019Early works
Roads and Maritime Services is upgrading Memorial Avenue. To prepare for this upgrade we need to relocate the existing electrical cabling. The new cables will be placed underground. The new location of the underground cables will not encroach on any private property.
It will take eight months to complete this work. During the first few months, we will relocate the cables along Memorial Avenue between Old Windsor Road and Hector Court.
Roads and Maritime Services announced construction funding for the Memorial Avenue upgrade in Kellyville on 10 January 2019.
Roads and Maritime is upgrading upgrade Memorial Avenue, Kellyville to manage current traffic as well as allow for the expected increases in traffic due residential and commercial development in the area.
Memorial Avenue is about 2.2 kilometres long and connects Old Windsor Road in the west with Windsor Road in the east. It bisects the new Balmoral Road development and provides access to Blacktown, Glenwood, Stanhope Gardens, Parklea, Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill and Kellyville.
The Memorial Avenue upgrade will reduce travel times and congestion for motorists and improve road safety.
- Contract award: Expected second half of 2019
- Start date of construction: Late 2019, weather permitting
- Project cost: Project cost will be available once the contract is awarded
The key benefits to the community include:
- increasing road capacity to cater for traffic growth
- Improving safety for motorists through the installation of traffic lights and a central median to separate traffic travelling in opposing directions
- Improving safety for cyclists and pedestrians by providing off-road shared paths
- Improving travel times between Blacktown and Castle Hill
- Improving access and travel times for road freight
- Improving bus accessibility at traffic lights
- Improved street lighting and landscaping
- Facilitating the development of the Balmoral Road release area precinct.
- Upgrading Memorial Avenue from a two lane to a four lane divided road with a central median
- Introducing a speed limit of 80km/h
- Providing a wide central median to allow for future widening to six lanes, when required in the future
- Providing landscaping in the median
- Constructing pedestrian/cyclist path on both sides of Memorial Avenue
- Installing bus priority capability at traffic lights and indented bus bays at Arnold Avenue and Severn Vale Drive intersections
- Providing designated turning lanes and bicycle lanes at intersections with traffic lights.
The Review of Environmental Factors for this proposal was displayed for community comment in November and December 2014 at The Hills Shire Council and Castle Hill Library. Roads and Maritime also hosted two community information sessions in November 2014. Roads and Maritime would like to thank everyone who took the time to review the documents and provide feedback.
We received 44 submissions and overall there was general support for the upgrade. Community feedback included comments on traffic congestion, local traffic access and public transport in the area. Comments on environmental factors included noise and the relevant mitigation measures. Roads and Maritime has considered the community’s feedback, prepared a Submissions Report in response to the feedback and obtained planning approval for the project.
Please view or download the Submissions Report (PDF, 5.41Mb).
Roads and Maritime has awarded the contract for detailed design to Beca Pty Ltd. and work has started on the design process.
The property acquisition area is being finalised and property letters have been sent to private owners along the proposed upgrade area.
We will continue to work with individual property owners and keep the community informed on the progress of the project.
Review of Environmental Factors (REF)
October 2019 notification
Relocating utilities near Memorial Avenue, Kellyville from 21 October 2019.
March 2019 notification
Investigation work on Memorial Avenue, Kellyville from Tuesday 26 March 2019.
November 2018 work notification
Investigation work from Monday 12 November 2018.
August 2018 work notification
Night work on Memorial Avenue, Kellyville from Monday 6 August 2018.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: 1800 784 847