The NSW Government is upgrading Memorial Avenue to a four lane road to meet the future transport needs of Sydney’s north west.
JUL 2020Early works continued
Transport for NSW is upgrading Memorial Avenue. We have been working along Memorial Avenue to prepare for this upgrade and have made really good progress during the early works program. Work will continue on moving the electrical supply from overhead poles to underground. We will dig trenches for pipes to hold the electrical cabling underground and remove some poles that are no longer required.More information
The final stage of this early work will include the removal of buildings of three Transport owned properties at: 3 and 5 Memorial Avenue and 4 Windsor Road, Kellyville. These properties need to be removed so we can widen the road for the upgrade.
Most of this work will take place during the day, but we will need to work sometimes at night.
Major construction work on the Memorial Avenue upgrade will start in late 2020.
View or download the July 2020 project notification (PDF, 217Kb)
MAR 2020Community update
The Memorial Avenue upgrade project has been progressing the early work stages since July 2019 and are still continuing this important work of relocating electrical utilities to prepare for the start of major construction.More information
We have recently sent a communication out to a large area within Kellyville and Bella Vista to provide the community with an overview of the Memorial Avenue upgrade and the next stages involved.
View or download the March 2020 Community Update (PDF, 13Mb).
Transport for NSW announced construction funding for the Memorial Avenue upgrade in Kellyville on 10 January 2019.
The upgrade to Memorial Avenue, Kellyville will help to manage current traffic as well as allow for the expected increases in traffic due residential and commercial development in the area.
Memorial Avenue is about 2.2 kilometres long and connects Old Windsor Road in the west with Windsor Road in the east. It bisects the new Balmoral Road development and provides access to Blacktown, Glenwood, Stanhope Gardens, Parklea, Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill and Kellyville.
The Memorial Avenue upgrade will reduce travel times and congestion for motorists and improve road safety.
- Preliminary electrical works contract: Ausconnex October 2019 (ongoing)
- Main contract award: Mid-Late 2020
- Start date of main construction: Late 2020, weather permitting
- Project cost: Will be available once the contract is awarded.
The key benefits to the community include:
- Increasing road capacity to cater for traffic growth
- Improving safety for motorists through the installation of traffic lights and a central median to separate traffic travelling in opposing directions
- Improving safety for cyclists and pedestrians by providing off-road shared paths
- Improving travel times between Blacktown and Castle Hill
- Improving access and travel times for road freight
- Improving bus accessibility at traffic lights
- Improved street lighting and landscaping
- Facilitating the development of the Balmoral Road release area precinct.
- Upgrading Memorial Avenue from a two lane to a four lane divided road with a central median
- Introducing a speed limit of 80km/h
- Providing a wide central median to allow for future widening to six lanes, when required in the future
- Providing landscaping in the median
- Constructing pedestrian/cyclist path on both sides of Memorial Avenue
- Installing bus priority capability at traffic lights and indented bus bays at Arnold Avenue and Severn Vale Drive intersections
- Providing designated turning lanes and bicycle lanes at intersections with traffic lights.
The Review of Environmental Factors for this proposal was displayed for community comment in November and December 2014 at The Hills Shire Council and Castle Hill Library. Transport for NSW also hosted two community information sessions in November 2014. We would like to thank everyone who took the time to review the documents and provide feedback.
We received 44 submissions and overall there was general support for the upgrade. Community feedback included comments on traffic congestion, local traffic access and public transport in the area. Comments on environmental factors included noise and the relevant mitigation measures. We have considered the community’s feedback, prepared a Submissions Report in response to the feedback and obtained planning approval for the project.
Please view or download the Submissions Report (PDF, 5.41Mb).
Transport for NSW has completed the design process and is currently in the final phase of the procurement process to award the contract.
The property acquisition area has been finalised and property letters regarding any adjustment works are being been sent to those affected private owners, who are located in the proposed upgrade area.
Our contractor Ausconnex is currently working in the area to relocate the existing overhead electrical cabling underground, prior to the main construction work on the upgrade.
Over the coming months private property owners in the area will receive letters regarding noise assessment and treatment works relating to the upgrade.
We will continue to work with individual property owners and keep the community informed on the progress of the project.
Review of Environmental Factors (REF)
July 2020 notification
Continuing utility relocation work near Memorial Avenue, Kellyville from Monday 13 July.
April 2020 notification
Continuing utility relocation work near Memorial Avenue, Kellyville from Monday 13 April.
January 2020 notification
Relocation of utilities on Memorial Avenue, Kellyville from 13 January 2020.
November 2019 notification
Night work on Memorial Avenue, Kellyville from 14 November 2019.
October 2019 notification
Relocating utilities near Memorial Avenue, Kellyville from 21 October 2019.
March 2019 notification
Investigation work on Memorial Avenue, Kellyville from Tuesday 26 March 2019.
November 2018 work notification
Investigation work from Monday 12 November 2018.
August 2018 work notification
Night work on Memorial Avenue, Kellyville from Monday 6 August 2018.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: 1800 784 847