In June 2018, the NSW Government announced $30 million in funding to upgrade the Great Western Highway between Kelso and Raglan. Roads and Maritime Services is delivering this work as part of its commitment to ease traffic congestion along the Great Western Highway, improve road safety for all motorists and to support Central Western communities of NSW.
The Great Western Highway upgrade in Central Western NSW extends from Ashworth Drive in Kelso, to Ceramic Avenue at the east of Raglan, near Bathurst. The Great Western Highway between Kelso and Raglan is often congested during major events, holiday seasons and weekends, and the upgrade will significantly improve travel efficiency during these times.
Roads and Maritime has been progressively upgrading sections of the Great Western Highway since 2015. The most recent Great Western Highway upgrade at Kelso opened to traffic in March 2017.
Other nearby projects underway include the Great Western Highway duplication between Katoomba and Lithgow, investigation of a bypass at Blackheath and Mount Victoria, and road safety improvements from Katoomba to Mount Victoria.
Roads and Maritime Services is delivering this work as part of its commitment to ease traffic congestion along the Great Western Highway, improve road safety for all motorists and to support Central Western communities of NSW.
The project objectives are to:
- Improve road safety for all road users over the length of the project by:
- progressively improving the road width by widening sealed shoulders and improving lane widths
- increasing safe turning opportunities by building additional turn lanes
- improving the current road surface by carrying out work on the existing pavement.
- Improve travel efficiency including peak travel periods such as holidays, special events and weekends, by adding additional eastbound and westbound lanes.
The key features of the project include:
- upgrading 3.6 kilometres of highway beginning at the Ashworth Drive roundabout in Kelso and ending at Ceramic Avenue just east of Raglan
- upgrading the highway to include two lanes travelling eastbound and two lanes westbound from Napoleon Street
- constructing a new road with a 20 year life
- improving intersections throughout the project
- constructing shared pedestrian/ cycle path between Ashworth Drive and Eugenie Street
- installing centre medians to improve safety.
Roads and Maritime will be completing important investigation work for the project in 2019. Following this, construction is expected to start in Early 2020, subject to planning.
Roads and Maritime is committed to involving the community in delivering this upgrade. We will continue to work with the community and stakeholders to understand issues and minimise potential impacts. We will keep the community updated as the project progresses.
July 2019 community update
Great Western Highway upgrade – Kelso to Raglan.
For more information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 02 6393 5423