The M1 Pacific Motorway Upgrades that make up the $391.6 million M1 Productivity Package funded by the Australian and NSW governments are now complete, providing a better and more reliable journey on one of Australia’s busiest roads.
JUN 2020Major work completed
The three major upgrades will create improved traffic flow and safer, smoother trips for more than 70,000 motorists on the M1.
To find out more about the completed projects, view the June 2020 Project Update (PDF, 2.79Mb).
We thank you for your patience and support during the work to upgrade the M1 Pacific Motorway.
The M1 Pacific Motorway is an important link between Sydney and Brisbane. More than 70,000 light and heavy vehicles travel between the Hunter, Central Coast and Sydney each day. These numbers are expected to increase in the future.
The M1 Upgrades will benefit commuters, holiday traffic and heavy vehicles by:
- improving traffic flow for better travel times and more reliable trips
- allowing for predicted increases in traffic
- providing safer access to and from the motorway
- making it easier for freight to travel between Sydney and the North Coast.
Key features include:
- widening the motorway to three lanes between Kariong and Somersby interchanges and between Tuggerah and Doyalson interchanges
- upgrading the exit and entry ramps at the Kariong, Warnervale and Doyalson interchanges
- replacing the existing roundabout at the Weakleys Drive and John Renshaw Drive intersection with traffic lights
- replacing old and cracked road surfaces with new pavement.
For further information about this project contact the M1 Upgrades team:
Phone: 1800 841 778 (24 hours)
Mail: M1 Upgrades Project Team, Roads and Maritime Services, Locked Bag 2030, NEWCASTLE NSW 2300.