Roads and Maritime Services is upgrading the M1 Pacific Motorway between the Kariong and Somersby interchanges to improve traffic flow and safety. The upgrade involves widening the motorway and lengthening and widening three of the four ramps at the Kariong interchange.
This project was one of three M1 Upgrades providing a better and more reliable journey on one of Australia’s busiest roads.
DEC 2019Changed traffic conditions
Changed traffic conditions will be in place from Monday night 2 December on the M1.More information
Signs will be installed over the northbound lanes before the Kariong exit ramp for three nights from Monday 2 December. Work will take place from 8.30pm to 5am.
During the last shift on Wednesday night and Thursday morning, traffic travelling northbound may experience intermittent stoppages for up to 10 minutes.
For the safety of motorists, a shoulder and lane closure will be in place during this work. Southbound motorists will be reduced to one lane past the work, but southbound traffic will not be stopped.
There will be restrictions on oversize, over mass loads during this time with a 4.5 metre maximum width open to traffic.
Work to permanently extend the entry ramp to the motorway travelling southbound to two lanes will also take place between 8pm and 5am from Tuesday 3 December.
A 40km/h speed limit will be in place as all night work is carried out for the safety of motorists. Please drive to the conditions and follow the directions of signs and traffic control.
A reduced speed limit of 80km/h will remain in place on the M1 between Kariong and Somersby for the duration of the project for the safety of workers and all road users.
The M1 Pacific Motorway is an important link for motorists travelling between Sydney to Brisbane, which is one of the busiest transport routes in Australia.
The upgrade between Kariong and Somersby interchanges will cater for the expected increase in traffic forecast as a result of growth in the Central Coast, Hunter and North Coast, along with increased freight demand.
This project is part of the M1 Upgrades, which also includes upgrading the M1 between the Tuggerah and Doyalson interchanges and at the Weakleys Drive and John Renshaw Drive intersection. The M1 Upgrades make up the $391.6 million M1 Productivity Package funded by the Australian and NSW governments to improve traffic flow and safety.
The upgrade includes:
- widening the motorway between the Kariong and Somersby interchanges to provide three lanes in each direction
- repairing and replacing sections of the motorway between Kariong and Somersby interchanges to improve road surfaces
- extending and widening three of the four ramps at the Kariong interchange.
Road widening work will not take place on the section of motorway between the north-facing and south-facing ramps at the Kariong interchange. Traffic modelling shows this section of motorway meets current and predicted traffic capacity requirements.
Key benefits include:
- increased traffic capacity of the motorway and Kariong interchange will result in reduced delays and improved travel times
- increase to three travel lanes in both directions allows for predicted increases in traffic
- improved road safety and capacity improvements for motorists to and from the motorway by lengthening and widening ramps at the Kariong interchange
- improved safety for freight to travel between Sydney and the North Coast.
A primary focus of the project is the upgrade of three of the four ramps at the Kariong interchange to increase capacity and safety for merging traffic by:
- extending and widening the northbound exit ramp (to Gosford) to two lanes exiting the motorway
- extending the northbound entry ramp (to Newcastle) and upgrading its intersection with Wisemans Ferry Road
- extending and widening the southbound entry ramp lanes (to Sydney) to two lanes joining the motorway.
Construction is due for completion in 2020, weather permitting.
We will continue to keep stakeholders and the community informed as the project progresses.
October 2019 project notification
Night work on the M1 Pacific Motorway between Kariong and Somersby interchanges from Tuesday 1 October 2019.
June 2019 project notification
Night work on the M1 Pacific Motorway between Kariong and Somersby interchanges from Monday 1 July 2019.
For further information about this project contact the M1 Upgrades team:
Phone: 1800 841 778 (24 hours)
Mail: M1 Upgrades Project Team, Roads and Maritime Services, Locked Bag 2030, Newcastle NSW 2300.