Roads and Maritime Services is planning for an interchange on the M1 Princes Motorway at the base of Mount Ousley.
The NSW Government has allocated a further $3 million to continue to plan this project which will improve road safety, travel times and cater for the efficient movement of future traffic and freight growth.
The project has achieved planning approval and the next stage will be to prepare the detailed design for the project. Timing and funding for construction of the interchange upgrade is still to be confirmed.
The proposed interchange would replace the existing intersection, and improve safety, reduce traffic congestion and provide for future traffic growth.
In response to ongoing consultation and investigations, we have continued to improve the design of the proposed interchange.
- new northbound exit from the motorway
- additional heavy vehicle safety ramp
- finalised commuter car park location with additional parking spaces and improved access
- extended pedestrian and cyclist connections
- relocation of the southbound entry to the motorway
- new service road between Mount Ousley Road and University Avenue
- closure of the southbound University Avenue exit from the motorway. Motorists would use the Mount Ousley Road exit and the service road.
- improved travel times
- safer access to and from the motorway to Mount Ousley Road
- improved access to the Wollongong CBD and University of Wollongong
- improved safety by separating cars and heavy vehicles travelling down Mount Ousley
- improved amenity for pedestrians and cyclists
- reduced vehicle operating costs
- provides for future traffic growth.
Roads and Maritime displayed the Review of Environmental Factors and concept design for the Mount Ousley interchange between Thursday 16 November and Friday 15 December 2017. During the display period we received 130 submissions and a total of 236 separate comments. Read what the community had to say on the online tool.
The environmental assessment for the Mount Ousley Interchange is now complete and the Submissions Report has now been published. The report answers questions raised by the community during the consultation period last year and has proposed a few design changes. It also considers additional consultation that took place around noise management during and after construction.
- Preliminary investigations
- Refinement and analysis of options
- Select preferred options
- Concept design and enviromental impact assessment
- WE ARE HERE
- Detailed design
- Pre-construction activities
- Award tender
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: 1800 792 918 (toll free, during business hours)
Mail: Mount Ousley Interchange, PO Box 477 Wollongong NSW 2520.