The NSW Government is planning to ease congestion and improve safety on the M5 Motorway for motorists travelling westbound between Moorebank Avenue and Hume Highway.
DEC 2019Have your say
We are seeking feedback on the recommended design (PDF, 5.23Mb) by Friday, 21 February 2020.More information
We are hosting two community information sessions to provide you with an opportunity to ask the project team questions and seek further information. A formal presentation will not be given at the sessions so please feel free to drop in any time.
Saturday 14 December 2019 10am – 12 noon Liverpool Library (orange room) 170 George Street, Liverpool NSW
Wednesday 5 February 2020 5pm – 7pm Casula Powerhouse Arts Centre 1 Powerhouse Rd, Casula NSW
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1800 519 525.
Motorists travelling westbound on the M5 Motorway through Moorebank currently experience traffic congestion in the afternoon peak. This is caused by traffic entering the motorway westbound at Moorebank Avenue, and merging with traffic already on the motorway that is looking to exit at Hume Highway. Increasing heavy vehicles travelling from the Moorebank Intermodal Park will also add to the congestion.
Transport for NSW has identified a design to upgrade the M5 Motorway westbound in this area to reduce congestion and improve the surrounding road network efficiency. The recommended design would include the following:
- A new two lane bridge over Georges River and the T2, T3 and T5 railway lines, connecting the M5 Motorway and Moorebank Avenue to the Hume Highway
- A new underpass at Moorebank Avenue for traffic exiting the M5 Motorway at Hume Highway
- A new shared exit with Moorebank Avenue for traffic wishing to exit the M5 Motorway at Hume Highway
- Closing the existing exit from the M5 Motorway to Hume Highway between Moorebank Avenue and Hume Highway.
- Provide a reliable road network to support economic and residential growth in western Sydney
- Reduce congestion by removing the traffic weave
- Improve safety and access to the Liverpool CBD
- Provide pedestrian and cyclist connection across the Georges River.
- Provide efficient, reliable travel between the Moorebank Intermodal Park and the state road network
- Support the M5 Motorway as the key gateway for south‑west Sydney
- Improve traffic flow across Georges River.
Further information on the recommended design and how we developed and selected it can be found in the Options Report (PDF, 5.69Mb), which is now available for community feedback.
We welcome your feedback on the recommended design by Friday, 21 February 2020.
All feedback received will be considered and a community consultation report will be prepared.
August 2019 project notification
Day and night work on M5 Motorway, Hume Highway and Moorebank Avenue from Tuesday 13August 2019.
December 2019 community update
Have your say - recommended design.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: 1800 519 525
Post: M5 Motorway westbound traffic upgrade, PO Box 973, Parramatta NSW 2124.