The NSW Government is planning to ease congestion and improve safety on the M5 Motorway for motorists travelling westbound between Moorebank Avenue and Hume Highway.
DEC 2019Have your say
Consultation on the recommended design for the M5 Motorway westbound traffic upgrade has now closed.More information
All feedback received will be considered and a community consultation report will be prepared.
Consultation was open between Monday 16 December 2019 and Friday 21 February 2020.
We would like to thank all those who made submissions. We will be in contact and notify you when the report is available on the project website.
For more information, or to request to be notified when the report is available, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1800 519 525.
Motorists travelling westbound on the M5 Motorway through Moorebank currently experience traffic congestion in the afternoon peak. This is caused by traffic entering the motorway westbound at Moorebank Avenue, and merging with traffic already on the motorway that is looking to exit at Hume Highway. Increasing heavy vehicles travelling from the Moorebank Intermodal Park will also add to the congestion.
Transport for NSW has identified a design to upgrade the M5 Motorway westbound in this area to reduce congestion and improve the surrounding road network efficiency. The recommended design would include the following:
- A new two lane bridge over Georges River and the T2, T3 and T5 railway lines, connecting the M5 Motorway and Moorebank Avenue to the Hume Highway
- A new underpass at Moorebank Avenue for traffic exiting the M5 Motorway at Hume Highway
- A new shared exit with Moorebank Avenue for traffic wishing to exit the M5 Motorway at Hume Highway
- Closing the existing exit from the M5 Motorway to Hume Highway between Moorebank Avenue and Hume Highway.
- Provide a reliable road network to support economic and residential growth in western Sydney
- Reduce congestion by removing the traffic weave
- Improve safety and access to the Liverpool CBD
- Provide pedestrian and cyclist connection across the Georges River.
- Provide efficient, reliable travel between the Moorebank Intermodal Park and the state road network
- Support the M5 Motorway as the key gateway for south‑west Sydney
- Improve traffic flow across Georges River.
An options report (PDF, 5.69Mb) explaining the process for selecting the recommended design is now available to view or download.
Consultation on the recommended design was held between Monday 16 December 2019 and Friday 21 February 2020. Consultation has now closed and the consultation report is being prepared.
All feedback received will be considered and the report will be published on this webpage.
August 2019 project notification
Day and night work on M5 Motorway, Hume Highway and Moorebank Avenue from Tuesday 13August 2019.
December 2019 community update
Have your say - recommended design.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: 1800 519 525
Post: M5 Motorway westbound traffic upgrade, PO Box 973, Parramatta NSW 2124.