Roads and Maritime Services is upgrading five key intersections in Mascot to help reduce congestion and improve safety.
SEP 2019Stage two construction begins
Construction on stage two of the Mascot intersection improvement program will begin on 29 September 2019, with work starting at Gardeners Road and Botany Road, Mascot.More information
Work to upgrade the intersections of Coward Street and Kent Road, and Ricketty Street and Kent Road is expected to start in October 2019.
Stage one of the project – the Bourke Street and Coward Street intersection upgrade – began earlier in September 2019.
Stage three – the Gardeners Road and Bourke Street intersection upgrade – will begin in 2020.
The project involves the upgrade of five key intersections across Mascot, to be delivered in three stages. The upgrades will help manage congestion and safety in one of Sydney’s most intensively and diversely utilised areas and help address growing freight and travel demand, including to and from Port Botany and Sydney Airport.
Bourke Street and Coward Street
- Banning right turns at Coward Street (westbound) into Bourke Street (northbound)
- Banning right turns from Bourke Street (northbound) to Coward Street (eastbound) for all vehicles except buses.
Gardeners Road and Botany Road
- Extending Gardeners Road’s existing, eastbound right turn bay and constructing an additional right turn lane onto Botany Road (involves removal of 14 parking spaces in total)
- Reconfiguring Gardeners Road’s eastbound lanes to establish a shared left/through lane, a dedicated through lane, and dual right turn lanes.
Kent Road and Ricketty Street
- Reconfiguring the pedestrian crossing at Kent Road, on the southern side of the intersection, and providing a new, larger traffic island
Kent Road and Coward Street
- Installing a new left turn slip lane on Kent Road (southbound) into Coward Street (eastbound)
- Installing a new pedestrian crossing and new traffic island at Kent Road on the northern side of the intersection
- Installing a new pedestrian crossing at traffic lights at Coward Street, on the eastern side of the intersection.
Gardeners Road and O’Riordan Street
- Banning right turns for all vehicles from Gardeners Road (westbound) into O’Riordan Street (northbound) – this will be implemented after completion of a separate Gardeners Road and Bourke Road intersection upgrade
- Banning left turns from Gardeners Road in both directions into O’Riordan Street for vehicles over 12.5m, and adding a dedicated left turn lane on Gardeners Road (westbound).
- Improving traffic flow on Gardeners Road, Kent Road, Coward Street, and Bourke Street
- Improving safety at Gardeners Road and O’Riordan Street, and at Kent Road and Church Street, by removing a right turn across multiple lanes of oncoming traffic
- Improving safety at Coward Street and Kent Road by providing more space to turn for large vehicles, who can cross into opposite traffic lanes and mount the footpath under current conditions
- Better manage heavy vehicle movements in the Mascot area
- Maintained journey time and reliability for public transport users
- Improving safety by providing a new pedestrian crossing and pedestrian island at Kent Street and Coward Street.
In October 2018 Roads and Maritime Services sought community feedback on its plans to upgrade five intersections in Mascot to help reduce congestion and improve safety.
Public comments and Roads and Maritime’s were published in the December 2018 community consultation report (PDF, 4.3Mb) and in a December 2018 community update (PDF, 2.47Mb).
Based on the feedback received and the objectives of the Mascot intersection upgrades, the initial proposal was amended to include:
- the removal of two additional parking spaces on Botany Road (south) near the intersection of Gardeners Road, which will improve safety for turning traffic
- a delay in implementing the proposed right turn from Gardeners Road (westbound) into O’Riordan Street (northbound) until dual right turn lanes at the intersection of Gardeners Road and Bourke Road are operational
Work on stage three, is expected to begin in 2020.
September 2019 community update
Mascot intersection upgrades Start of work: Stage One.
September 2019 community update
Mascot intersection upgrades Start of work: Stage Two.
December 2018 community update
Mascot intersection upgrades.
October 2018 community update
Have Your Say - Mascot intersection upgrades.
|Easing congestion at five Mascot intersections||22.4Kb|
|Have your say on plans to ease congestion at Mascot||22.6Kb|
For further information about this project, please contact the project team:
Phone: 1800 975 222 (during business hours)