The NSW Government has funded the Gateway to the South bus improvements program. The program aims to improve the reliability of bus services on southern Sydney’s main bus corridors.
Transport for NSW has identified some ways to improve the reliability of buses along the Miranda to Bankstown via Menai corridor.
As a part of this program, Transport for NSW and Roads and Maritime Services, in consultation with bus operators and local councils are proposing to make changes to some bus stops on Menai Road, Menai, the Princes Highway, Kirrawee and Kingsway, Miranda. The proposed changes to bus stops are mainly serviced by bus routes M92 and 962.
These changes support the Future Transport 2056 Strategy, which is the NSW government's plan to deliver the future transport network. In this plan, a key customer outcome is safety and performance, which seeks to ensure that every customer enjoys safe travel across a high performing and efficient network. It also reflects what our customers tell us about bus services, with travel time and on time running being some of the most important service features.
The proposed bus stop changes aim to strike a balance between maintaining a reasonable walking distance (i.e. within a 400m radius or an average five minute walk) to bus stops and an efficient bus network.
Making adjustments to the number of bus stops along a bus corridor also helps improve bus travel times. Each bus stop location is considered with a focus on the safety of bus customers and motorists.
Key outcomes of the bus stop changes include:
- making travel times more reliable for bus customers
- improving customer and motorist safety for bus operations
- contributing to the NSW Government's target of 95 per cent on time running bus services.
As part of this program, Transport for NSW and Roads and Maritime are proposing to make changes to the following bus stops:
Menai Road near Allison Crescent, Menai
The bus stop changes on Menai Road, Menai would include:
- removal of the eastbound bus stop ID 223445 before Allison Crescent, as there are alternative bus stops within 230m to 290m. Replace with 'No Stopping'.
Princes Highway, near Oak Road, Kirrawe
The bus stop changes on Princes Highway, Kirrawee would include:
- Installing a new bus stop 20m east of Oak Road.
Kingsway near Miranda Park, Miranda
The bus stop changes on the Kingsway, Miranda would include:
- removal of bus stop eastbound ID 222812, outside Miranda Park as there are alternative bus stops with safe crossing facilities within 150m and 250m, and reinstate with five unrestricted parking spaces
- removal of the bus stop westbound ID 222836 after University Road, as there are alternative bus stops within 160m and 200m and reinstate with four unrestricted parking spaces.
The consultation closed on 15 December 2019. We will consider all feedback and respond in a community consultation report, which will be available in early 2020.
We will continue to liaise with the community as the project progresses.
If you have any questions or would like more information please contact the bus priority team on:
- Phone: 1800 575 250
- Email: email@example.com