The NSW Government has funded the Gateway to the South bus improvements program. The program aims to improve the reliability of bus services on southern Sydney’s main bus corridors.
Transport for NSW has identified some ways to improve the reliability of buses along the Miranda to Bankstown via Padstow bus corridor.
Transport for NSW, in Roads and Maritime Services in consultation with bus operators and local councils are proposing to make changes to some bus stops on Gibson Avenue and Ryan Road in Padstow. The proposed changes to bus stops are mainly serviced by bus routes M92 and 962.
These changes support the Future Transport 2056 Strategy, which is the NSW government’s plan to deliver the future transport network. In this plan, a key customer outcome is safety and performance, which seeks to ensure that every customer enjoys safe travel across a high performing and efficient network. It also reflects what our customers tell us about bus services, with travel time and on time running being some of the most important service features.
The proposed bus stop changes aim to strike a balance between maintaining a reasonable walking distance (i.e. within a 400m radius or an average five minute walk) to bus stops and an efficient bus network.
Making adjustments to the number of bus stops along a bus corridor also helps improve bus travel times. Each bus stop location is considered with a focus on the safety of bus customers and motorists.
Key outcomes of the bus stop changes include:
- making travel times more reliable for bus customers
- improving customer and motorist safety for bus operations
- contributing to the NSW Government’s target of 95 per cent on time running bus services.
As part of this program, Transport for NSW and Roads and Maritime are proposing to make changes to the following bus stops:
Gibson Avenue before Gow Street and Stiles Avenue, Padstow
The bus stop changes on Gibson Avenue, Padstow would include:
- removal of the southbound bus stop ID 221144 before Gow Street as there are alternative bus stops within 100m to 130m. Replace with ‘No Stopping’
- removal of the northbound bus stop ID 221188 before Stiles Avenue as there are alternative bus stops within 110m to 130m. Reinstate with two unrestricted parking spaces.
Ryan Road between Davies Road and Parker Lane, Padstow
The bus stop changes on Ryan Road, Padstow would include:
- removal of two westbound bus stops ID 221111 and ID 221113 between Davies Road and Parker Lane as there are alternative bus stops within 120m to 130m and replace with ‘No Stopping’
- upgrade and extend westbound bus stop ID 221112 by about 50m east to allow enough space for buses to safely enter and exit the bus stop. This will result in the removal of up to four unrestricted parking spaces
- extend the eastbound bus stop ID 221117 by about 15m east towards Davies Road to allow enough space for buses to safely enter and exit the stop. This will result in the removal of two unrestricted parking spaces.
We welcome your comments on these bus stop changes by Friday 13 December 2019.
You can provide your comments by:
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Writing to the bus priority team at PO Box 973, Parramatta CBD NSW 2124
- Phoning 1800 575 250
Register your email address with us to receive future community updates about this project.
We will consider all feedback and respond in a community consultation report, which will be available in early 2020.
We will continue to liaise with the community as the project progresses.
If you have any questions or would like more information please contact the bus priority team on:
- Phone: 1800 575 250
- Email: email@example.com