The NSW Government has committed over $30 million to deliver a number of projects along the 36 kilometre section of the Mitchell Highway between Dubbo and Narromine, providing safe and efficient travel for a variety of vehicle types.
The projects include:
- Additional overtaking lanes
- Widening of 11 kilometres of the highway east of Narromine
- Upgrades to the highway at Lagoon Creek and Minore Road
Would you like to find out more?
Drop in Sessions:
Transport for NSW is monitoring the current situation with COVID-19, and will be completing consultation sessions online.
Register here for the time that suits you best between Monday 24 August 5pm - 6pm and Tuesday 25 August 12pm - 2pm.
If you are unable to register online please call the project team on 1800 167 499 or email@example.com
JUL 2020Overtaking lanes
The additional overtaking lanes on the Mitchell Highway between Dubbo and Narromine were announced by Dubbo MP Dugald Saunders in 2019.More information
Planning has commenced on the design and environmental studies for the overtaking lanes.
The project will involve building three additional overtaking lanes.
Currently there is one westbound and one eastbound overtaking lane on this section of the Mitchell Highway with a lack of overtaking opportunities.
The upgrades will provide improved travel times and safety.
The overtaking lanes are essential to the community, with a large number of residents commuting to work daily between Narromine and Dubbo.
The Mitchell Highway forms part of the Sydney to Western NSW corridor. It is an important route for freight and livestock transporters, local commuters, tourism operators, caravanners and holiday makers.
A large number of people commute daily between Narromine and Dubbo for employment and recreational activities. Heavy vehicles also make up to about 12 per cent of the daily traffic.
The project objectives include:
- Reducing travel times
- Improving safety
- Increasing overtaking opportunities
Key features of the Mitchell Highway overtaking lanes include:
- Construction of three overtaking lanes
- Each overtaking lane will be 1.5 kilometres in length
- Addition of a 1m wide centre line and Audio Tactile Line marking at project locations
- Improved pavement life and drainage along the project locations
- Integration with other planned work to improve shoulder width and the road surface along extended lengths of the Mitchell Highway corridor
- Upgrades to private property accesses and intersections.
View or download
For more information please contact the project team:
Phone: 1800 167 499