Upgrading 3.4 kilometres of Mona Vale Road from two lanes to four lanes between McCarrs Creek Road, Terrey Hills and Powder Works Road, Ingleside.
MAY 2020Current work program
The Federal and State Government have allowed the construction industry to continue to work during the recent lockdown period owing to the COVID 19 Pandemic. The current work program which includes out of hours work for Mona Vale Road East Project will continue, until we are directed otherwise we will need to continue both day and night work as they are both required in order to maintain the program. Night work is undertaken out of necessity for the safety of commuters, the local community and the project team.
Mona Vale Road West currently experiences congestion in peak periods and requires upgrading to increase capacity and reduce travel times. Roads and Maritime proposes to deliver this project to:
- Improve traffic flow and efficiency by providing additional lanes
- Improve safety for motorists, pedestrians and cyclists by improving the road alignment and widening the shoulders
- Provide safe and efficient travel for pedestrians and cyclists from a new shared path
- Upgrade an essential link between Sydney’s northern beaches and the north shore
- Provide better access for current and future Ingleside residents by constructing a new local road corridor from Harvey Road to Powder Works Road
- Enable fauna to cross Mona Vale Road safely and access Garigal and Ku-ring-gai National Parks by constructing an overpass bridge and underpasses.
The NSW Government is investing $140 million to upgrade Mona Vale Road between Manor Road, Ingleside, and Foley Street, Mona Vale, from two to four lanes to improve safety and traffic efficiency.
Roads and Maritime Services awarded the contract for construction to Georgiou Group Pty Ltd and construction started in January 2019 and is expected to complete in 2022, weather permitting.
In the coming months we will:
- continue to remove asbestos until June 2020 between Mona Vale Cemetery and Foley Street
- cut rock and continue with earthworks to prepare for the two new lanes between Manor Road and Mona Vale Cemetery, during the day and night
- relocate signs and adjust property boundaries for some commercial and residential properties along the project alignment
- continue with the retaining wall and upgrade of existing drainage at Narrabeen Creek near Lane Cove Road
- build retaining walls and a stormwater basin near Samuel Street
- continue with a number of underground utility relocations, cross drainage systems and build the road drainage network along the length of the project
- progress with the Samuel Street, Ponderosa Parade and Mona Vale Road intersection upgrade
- build new road surfaces
Construction speed zone
- We have introduced a new speed limit of a 60 km/h along our work corridor due to changed road conditions. We have reduced the speed limit to 40 km/h in areas adjoining active work zones for safety reasons. There are many trucks now moving in and out of the multiple construction access gates. These trucks need safe entry and exit speeds along the road in the project area. Please follow speed limits during our day and night work for the safety of road users and construction workers
- Road users are encouraged to plan ahead, allow extra time and travel outside the peaks where possible. We will inform you of any changes through electronic messaging and regular notifications, with any major traffic changes advertised in the media
Key milestones for 2020
During the upgrade we will excavate about 210,000 cubic metres of soil and rock. We will reuse more than 80,000 cubic metres of this excess material to prepare for the future Mona Vale Road West upgrade. We have established a western early work site on the northern side of Mona Vale Road near Tumburra Road, Ingleside. We are taking excess material from the current upgrade to this western early work site to build an embankment for the future Mona Vale Road West upgrade.
The two projects have been designed to ensure a minimum amount of material is removed from the projects combined. This will reduce the number of truck movements along the corridor, overall cost for both projects, and reduce our carbon footprint. We expect to complete the majority of earthwork in late 2020, weather permitting. This work includes excavating the rock cuttings between Manor Road and Mona Vale Cemetery.
Our focus for the year will be:
- utility relocations and drainage works
- installing three kilometres of fauna fencing along both sides of the road. We started installing this fencing in August 2019 and we will continue as work progresses along Mona Vale Road
- building two brand new fauna crossing facilities for the new road, a three metres wide and 31 metres long underpass under near Laurel Road East and a five metres wide and 33 metres long fauna overpass near the end of Lane Cove Road
- building two of the seven retaining walls required for the project
- building a five metre high retaining wall and a large drain under Mona Vale Road about 50 metres west of Lane Cove Road. The drain will direct surface water into Narrabeen Creek
- commencing the truck arrester bed which we expect to complete it in 2021
We are continuing to prepare the detailed design for Mona Vale Road West, between McCarrs Creek Road, Terrey Hills, and Powder Works Road, Ingleside.
Construction will commence when funding becomes available.
The key features of the Mona Vale Road West upgrade include:
- Widening Mona Vale Road between McCarrs Creek Road and Powder Works Road from two lanes to four lanes with a central concrete safety barrier
- Providing a new traffic signal intersection at Kimbriki Road and Mona Vale Road, including additional dedicated turning lanes and a truck climbing lane
- Relocating the intersection of Mona Vale Road and Tumburra Street to the west by about 40 metres and changing access to left turn in and left turn out only
- Closing the existing intersection at Mona Vale Road and Addison Road to general traffic and restricting access to emergency vehicles only
- Constructing a new local road connection between Bungendore Street and Powder Works Road, using the existing Harvey Road corridor, and extending the new local road east of Addison Road to meet the intersection of Mona Vale Road and Powder Works Road
- Removing bus stops near the intersection of Tumburra Street and re-directing bus services along the new local road connection and Tumburra Street to serve existing and future land uses
- Providing new and improved fauna connections including a 40 metre wide fauna bridge over Mona Vale Road and two fauna underpasses
- Constructing a shared use path on the northern side of Mona Vale Road between McCarrs Creek Road and Addison Road
- Upgrading street lighting for the full length of the project
- Constructing retaining walls and/or sandstone cuttings at various locations along the alignment
- Landscaping over the length of the proposal.
August 2018 project notification
Survey and investigation work on McCarrs Creek Road and Mona Vale Road, Terrey Hills and Ingleside, from Monday 13 August 2018.