The Australian and NSW Governments are planning to widen and upgrade Mulgoa Road / Castlereagh Road to support current and future traffic demands and expected growth in the area.
Transport for NSW is upgrading 6.5 kilometres of the Mulgoa Road / Castlereagh Road corridor between Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park and Andrews Road, Penrith. Mulgoa Road is a main access route from Penrith to the M4 Motorway.
The corridor connects the Penrith community, including its central business district, with other parts of greater Sydney.
The upgraded road would improve road safety, reduce congestion and improve travel times.
Transport for NSW is continuing to work on developing the corridor. Future upgrades would be delivered in stages, subject to available funding and priorities.
View the March 2020 community update (PDF, 21.4Mb) for more details
The preferred option would:
- improve road capacity to cater to population and employment growth
- manage congestion and delays along Mulgoa Road / Castlereagh Road during peak periods
- reduce travel times and transport costs
- improve road safety for all users
- facilitate the movement of goods and trucks
- create better access to public transport
- provide safe and effective pedestrian and cycling infrastructure
- improve urban design and visual aspects of the road corridor.
The preferred option includes:
- three lanes in each direction
- upgraded intersections – including traffic light intersections at Andrews Road, Coreen Avenue and Glenmore Parkway
- bus priority at intersections
- a separated path for pedestrians and cyclists on the eastern side
- a footpath on the western side
- landscaping along the corridor.
View or download the Mulgoa Road/Castlereagh Road corridor – stages map.
October 2018 project notification
Night and day work on Mulgoa Road from 5 November 2018.
August 2018 project notification
Night and day work on Mulgoa Road from 3 September to 29 September 2018.
April 2018 project notification
Night and day work -Mulgoa Road from April to June 2018.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
August 2018 frequently asked questions
Mulgoa Road, Jamisontown upgrade.
|Planning work progresses on Mulgoa Road upgrade - 21 September 2020||24.1Kb|
View or download the corridor map.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: 1800 733 084 (business hours)