The Australian and NSW governments are jointly funding the $105 million Mulgoa Road, Penrith – from Union Road to Museum Drive including Railway Bridge upgrade. The vital upgrade will connect road users to the Penrith CBD and ease congestion at these intersections.
SEP 2019Western side footpath temporary closure
From Wednesday 9 October 2019 until March 2020, weather permitting, we will temporarily close the footpath on the western side of Mulgoa Road between Retreat Drive and High Street.More information
For the pedestrian detour route, please view or download the September 2019 notification (PDF, 364Kb).
Bridge construction, earthwork and utilities relocation will continue from Sunday 1 September to Thursday 31 October on High Street, Jane Street, Castlereagh Road and Mulgoa Road between Rodley Avenue and Museum Drive.
Please view or download the August 2019 notification (PDF, 256Kb).
- Project value: $105 million
- Funding: Australian and NSW governments
The Castlereagh Road and Jane Street, and Mulgoa Road and High Street intersections are vital to connect road users to the Penrith CBD, Blue Mountains and surrounding suburbs. These intersections currently experience congestion during morning and afternoon peak times.
As part of the NSW Government Plan for Growing Sydney, Penrith will continue to develop as a regional city centre and accommodate future residential and employment growth. Without improvement to cater for this growth, future traffic congestion at these intersections will worsen, resulting in further delays for road users.
The Mulgoa Road, Penrith - from Union Road to Museum Drive including Railway Bridge upgrade would ease this congestion and provide increased capacity to cater for future transport growth.
The Mulgoa Road, Penrith – from Union Road to Museum Drive including Railway Bridge upgrade would:
- reduce congestion and delays at the Castlereagh Road / Jane Street and High Street / Mulgoa Road / intersections during morning and afternoon peak times
- deliver infrastructure that provides effective network performance
- improve access to public transport
- provide safe and effective pedestrian and cycling infrastructure
- support economic growth
- allow for upgrades of other sections of Mulgoa Road in the future.
- An additional lane both north and south bound on Mulgoa Road / Castlereagh Road between Union Road and to the south of Museum Drive
- A longer left turn lane along Mulgoa Road for vehicles turning westbound onto High Street
- Upgrade of the Mulgoa Road and High Street intersection to provide increased capacity
- Upgrade of the T-intersection of Jane Street with Castlereagh Road to provide increased capacity
- Widening the existing rail underpass to allow three lanes in each direction on Castlereagh Road and left turn into Jane Street
- Bus priority at the High Street intersection.
Work started in December 2018 and the upgrade will open to traffic in late-2020, weather permitting.
We will continue to provide information as the project progresses.
During our general excavation work, we have found asbestos contaminated material (ACM) along the High Street, Mulgoa Road and Castlereagh Road corridors.
If ACM is found near properties, property owners are notified before any removal takes place.
Roads and Maritime Services works with SafeWork NSW and the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) in accordance with the relevant environmental and health obligations, and legislative requirements.
Should you have any questions about the safe removal of ACM, you can visit the Environmental Protection Authority’s website at epa.nsw.gov.au or call 131 555.
View the Mulgoa Road, Penrith video animation from our video gallery page.
View or download the upgrade map
August 2019 project notification
Work continuing on Mulgoa and Castlereagh Roads Penrith from Sunday 1 September 2019.
March 2019 project notification
Work on Mulgoa Road and Castlereagh Road, Penrith from 29 March 2019.
February 2019 project notification
Work progressing on Mulgoa Road and Castlereagh Road, Penrith from 25 February 2019.
December 2018 project notification
Night work on Mulgoa Road, Penrith from 5 December 2018.
November 2018 project notification
Start of work on Mulgoa Road, from Union Road to Museum Drive, Penrith from 5 December 2018.
December 2017 project notification
Extension of survey and investigations night work from Tuesday 2 January 2018.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: 1800 951 118