The Australian and NSW governments are jointly funding the $105 million Mulgoa Road, Penrith - from Union Road to Museum Drive including Railway Bridge upgrade. The vital upgrade will connect road users to the Penrith CBD and ease congestion at these intersections.
MAR 2021Work schedule change
Due to the wet weather this week, High Street work planned for this weekend has now been cancelled.
The High Street work from Friday 26 March to Monday 29 March will remain the same as previously notified.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this change.
MAR 2021Traffic changes on High Street, Penrith from 12 March 2021
For more information view or download the March 2021 notification (PDF, 164Kb).
FEB 2021Changes to this weekend's work schedule
Due to the recent wet weather, we have been unable to complete critical road pavement work in the lead up to the traffic switch this weekend. As such, we have had to make some changes to this weekend's work schedule.More information
High Street between Mulgoa Road and Council access road will now be closed from:
- 7pm 26 February to 6am 27 February 2021
- 7pm 27 February to 9am 28 February 2021
Castlereagh Road between Jane Street and Museum Drive will now be closed from:
- 7pm 5 March to 8am 6 March 2021
We apologise for any inconvenience caused by these changes.
- Project value: $105 million
- Funding: Australian and NSW governments
The Castlereagh Road and Jane Street, and Mulgoa Road and High Street intersections are vital to connect road users to the Penrith CBD, Blue Mountains and surrounding suburbs. These intersections currently experience congestion during morning and afternoon peak times.
As part of the NSW Government Plan for Growing Sydney, Penrith will continue to develop as a regional city centre and accommodate future residential and employment growth. Without improvement to cater for this growth, future traffic congestion at these intersections will worsen, resulting in further delays for road users.
The Mulgoa Road, Penrith - from Union Road to Museum Drive including Railway Bridge upgrade would ease this congestion and provide increased capacity to cater for future transport growth.
The Mulgoa Road, Penrith – from Union Road to Museum Drive including Railway Bridge upgrade would:
- reduce congestion and delays at the Castlereagh Road / Jane Street and High Street / Mulgoa Road / intersections during morning and afternoon peak times
- deliver infrastructure that provides effective network performance
- improve access to public transport
- provide safe and effective pedestrian and cycling infrastructure
- support economic growth
- allow for upgrades of other sections of Mulgoa Road in the future.
- An additional lane both north and south bound on Mulgoa Road / Castlereagh Road between Union Road and to the south of Museum Drive
- A longer left turn lane along Mulgoa Road for vehicles turning westbound onto High Street
- Upgrade of the Mulgoa Road and High Street intersection to provide increased capacity
- Upgrade of the T-intersection of Jane Street with Castlereagh Road to provide increased capacity
- Widening the existing rail underpass to allow three lanes in each direction on Castlereagh Road and left turn into Jane Street
- Bus priority at the High Street intersection.
Work started in December 2018 and the upgrade will open to traffic in mid 2021, weather permitting.
We will continue to provide information as the project progresses.
During our general excavation work, we have found asbestos contaminated material (ACM) along the High Street, Mulgoa Road and Castlereagh Road corridors.
If ACM is found near properties, property owners are notified before any removal takes place.
Roads and Maritime Services works with SafeWork NSW and the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) in accordance with the relevant environmental and health obligations, and legislative requirements.
Should you have any questions about the safe removal of ACM, you can visit the Environmental Protection Authority’s website at epa.nsw.gov.au or call 131 555.
View the Mulgoa Road, Penrith video animation from our video gallery page.
View or download the upgrade map.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: 1800 951 118