The NSW Government has committed $275 million to improve road safety and reduce congestion on the Nelson Bay Road corridor including duplicating the road from Williamtown to Bob’s Farm and early work at the Nelson Bay Road and Medowie Road intersection and the Nelson Bay Road and Lemon Tree Passage Road intersection.
FEB 2020Start of work
Work is currently underway to upgrade the intersection of Nelson Bay Road and Lemon Tree Passage Road.More information
Work will be carried out between 6pm and 6am from Sunday to Friday and also during the day on occasions between 6am and 6pm from Monday to Friday and between 7am and 2pm on Saturday. Work will not be carried out during peak traffic times to minimise disruption to motorists.
The project is expected to completed by late May, weather permitting.
The proposed improvements at the intersection of Nelson Bay Road and Lemon Tree Passage Road include:
- providing an additional left turn lane into Lemon Tree Passage Road from Nelson Bay Road
- extending the eastbound merge lane on Nelson Bay Road. This includes adjusting driveways and associated drainage on the eastern side of the roundabout to accommodate road widening for the extended lane
- extending the two lane approach to the roundabout on Lemon Tree Passage Road
- providing an additional westbound lane on Nelson Bay Road on approach to the roundabout
- providing off-road cycle paths around the roundabout to improve safety for cyclists
- providing footpath and kerb ramps to improve safety for pedestrians and cyclists
- removing and replacing concrete medians
- road resurfacing and new line marking
Planning on the project is continuing and we will continue to keep stakeholders and the community informed as the project progresses.
We have already completed early work on Nelson Bay Road and have duplicated a number of sections of road including Bobs Farm to Anna Bay, Richardson Road to Lemon Tree Passage Road and Stockton Bridge to Fern Bay.
Work to improve the Nelson Bay Road and Medowie Road intersection at Williamtown started in August 2018 and was completed in June 2019. We are also planning a project to duplicate Nelson Bay Road from Williamtown to Bobs Farm. We will continue to keep the community informed as this project progresses.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: (02) 4908 7629 (business hours - Julian Mehanathan)
Mail: Transport for NSW, Locked Bag 2030, Newcastle NSW 2300