The NSW Government has committed $275 million to improve road safety and reduce congestion on the Nelson Bay Road corridor including duplicating the road from Williamtown to Bob’s Farm and early work at the Nelson Bay Road and Medowie Road intersection and the Nelson Bay Road and Lemon Passage Road intersection.
MAR 2019Community feedback invited
Roads and Maritime Services is planning to upgrade the Nelson Bay Road and Lemon Tree Passage Road intersection to improve traffic flow, travel times and safety for road users.
The community was invited to comment on the proposed intersection upgrade in March 2019. Roads and Maritime would like to thank everyone who provided comments. The feedback received will be considered to finalise the project design.
The proposed improvements at the intersection of Nelson Bay Road and Lemon Tree Passage Road include:
- providing an additional left turn lane into Lemon Tree Passage Road from Nelson Bay Road
- extending the eastbound merge lane on Nelson Bay Road. This includes adjusting driveways and associated drainage on the eastern side of the roundabout to accommodate road widening for the extended lane
- extending the two lane approach to the roundabout on Lemon Tree Passage Road
- providing an additional westbound lane on Nelson Bay Road on approach to the roundabout
- providing off-road cycle paths around the roundabout to improve safety for cyclists
- providing footpath and kerb ramps to improve safety for pedestrians and cyclists
- removing and replacing concrete medians
- road resurfacing and new line marking.
Planning on the project is continuing with work expected to start in late 2019, weather permitting.
We will continue to keep stakeholders and the community informed as the project progresses.
We have already completed early work on Nelson Bay Road and have duplicated a number of sections of road including Bobs Farm to Anna Bay, Richardson Road to Lemon Tree Passage Road and Stockton Bridge to Fern Bay.
Work to improve the Nelson Bay Road and Medowie Road intersection at Williamtown started in August 2018 and is scheduled to be completed in June 2019, weather permitting. We are also planning a project to duplicate Nelson Bay Road from Williamtown to Bobs Farm. We will continue to keep the community informed as this project progresses.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: (02) 4908 7629 (business hours - Julian Mehanathan)
Mail: Roads and Maritime Services, Locked Bag 2030, Newcastle NSW 2300