Transport for NSW is planning to improve safety and traffic flow between Aberglasslyn Road and John Street.
The NSW Government is investing in a proposal to improve safety and travel times between Aberglasslyn Road and John Street.
In the five years up until June 2019, there were 33 crashes along this section of the highway, 24 of which resulted in injury.
The proposal involves:
- extending the right turn lane on the New England Highway by 70 metres for motorists turning right into Aberglasslyn Road from the east. This would improve traffic flow along the highway, by providing additional space for vehicles wanting to turn right into Aberglasslyn Road
- installing a new raised concrete median to prevent vehicles from making a right turn movement into South Street from the highway. South Street will become a left in and left out only
- improving line markings and resurfacing the highway between Aberglasslyn Road and John Street
- removing the right turn movement into Walter Street for motorists travelling east on the highway. Signage will be installed to remind motorists that they can no longer turn right at this intersection.
- installing a new pedestrian refuge on South Street to allow pedestrians to cross one direction of traffic at a time
Eastbound motorists wanting to access South Street and Walter Street from the highway can do so by using the traffic lights located at the John Street intersection and travelling west along Gillies Street.
Transport sought feedback from the community and stakeholders on the proposal in November and December 2020. Thank you to everyone who took time to provide feedback.
A total of 52 submissions were received during the consultation period and included concerns about:
- traffic light phasing at the Aberglasslyn Road intersection
- access to Telarah and potential impacts for customers and businesses due to changes to the South Street intersection
- increased traffic on the local road network due to banning right turn movements into South Street and Walter Street.
- motorist safety due to traffic congestion and safety along this section of the highway
- access for emergency vehicles during peak traffic
- prioritisation of this project over other traffic congestion and safety issues in Maitland.
April 2020 project notification
Start of work - Safety improvements on the New England Highway, Rutherford.
March 2020 project notification
Safety improvements on the New England Highway, Rutherford from April 2020.
November 2019 project notification
Have your say - Proposed safety improvements on the New England Highway, Rutherford.
March 2020 consultation report
Safety improvements on the New England Highway, Rutherford.
|23 April 2020 - Safety upgrade starts on highway at Rutherford||35.8Kb|
For more information about this project, please contact:
Email: mailto: Viet.Nguyen@rms.nsw.gov.au
Phone: 02 4908 7724
Mail: Viet Nguyen
Transport for NSW
Locked Bag 2030