Transport for NSW is carrying out safety improvements between Dumaresq Street and Cressfield Road to reduce the risk of crashes
DEC 2020Work started
Safety improvements started on Monday 26 October 2020 and is expected to take 12 weeks to complete, weather permitting.More information
Work will be carried out between 7am and 5pm from Monday to Friday, with a reduced speed limit of 40km/h during work hours. On occasions, work will be carried out on Saturday from 8am to 1pm.
Motorists should plan their trip, allow extra travel time and follow the directions of all signs, including reduced speed limits.
The NSW Government is investing $2.2 million in safety improvements on the New England Highway between Dumaresq Street and Cressfield Road at Parkville.
The work involves:
- Installing a one metre wide painted centreline along the highway.
- The wide centreline would improve safety by providing greater separation between vehicles travelling in opposite directions
- Installing audio-tactile line marking along the edge and centrelines
- Installing 280 metres of a new roadside safety barrier
- Shoulder widening near property accesses
- Rebuilding a 540 metre section of the road
- Improving line markings and installing new signage.
The introduction of a one metre wide centreline will improve safety by providing greater separation between vehicles travelling in opposite directions.
Audio-tactile line marking
The proposal incorporates audio-tactile line marking (ATLM) on the edge and centrelines along sections of the highway.
ATLM, sometimes called ‘rumble strips’ are small raised bumps typically placed along the edges of roads and in the centre of roads to alert a driver when they are drifting out of their lane.
We will carefully consider your feedback on the proposed safety improvements and continue to keep you updated as the project progresses.
We will continue to keep the community updated as work progresses.
For more information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 0436 454 028 (business hours – Jason Walsh, Project Manager)
Mail: Jason Walsh, Transport for NSW, Locked Bag 2030 Newcastle NSW 2300.