Roads and Maritime Services is planning to upgrade the highway to improve traffic flow, travel times and safety.
OCT 2019Proposed design
Community and stakeholders were invited to comment on a proposed design for the upgrade in September.More information
Thank you to everyone who took the time to consider our proposal and provide feedback.
More information about the proposed design is available in the September 2019 Project notification (PDF, 1.96Mb).
The NSW Government is investing in a proposal to improve travel times and safety on the New England Highway between Racecourse Road and Anambah Road at Rutherford.
The proposal involves providing two lanes in each direction between Racecourse Road and Anambah Road to improve traffic flow and safety as well as cater for expected residential and commercial growth in the area.
The proposal involves:
- widening the New England Highway between Racecourse Road and Anambah Road to provide an additional travel lane in each direction and wider shoulders
- resurfacing the highway between Racecourse Road and Anambah Road to provide a smoother surface
- installing a new raised median to help prevent vehicles from crossing over to the wrong side of the road
- building new bus bays on both sides of the highway, east of Racecourse Road, to improve access to public transport
- removing the right turn movement out of Primewest Rutherford to improve traffic flow and safety for motorists entering the highway from the commercial precinct. This movement will become left in and left out only
- considering introducing parking restrictions along the service road to maintain large vehicle movements into adjacent properties.
The project is currently in early planning and construction is dependent on future funding.
We will keep the community updated as the project progresses.
For more information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 02 4908 7667
Mail: Todd Hainsworth, Roads and Maritime Services, Locked Bag 2030, Newcastle 2300 NSW.