Transport for NSW is upgrading the highway between Racecourse Road and Anambah Road at Rutherford to improve traffic flow, travel times and safety.
MAR 2020Start of work
Work started in March 2020 and is expected to be completed in 10 months, weather permitting. More information about the project is available in the March 2020 Project notification (PDF, 300kb).
The NSW Government is investing $6.1 million to improve travel times and safety on the New England Highway between Racecourse Road and Anambah Road at Rutherford.
The project involves providing two lanes in each direction between Racecourse Road and Anambah Road to improve traffic flow and safety as well as cater for expected residential and commercial growth in the area.
The project involves:
- widening the New England Highway between Racecourse Road and Anambah Road to provide an additional travel lane in each direction and wider shoulders
- resurfacing the highway between Racecourse Road and Anambah Road to provide a smoother surface
- installing a new raised median to help prevent vehicles from crossing over to the wrong side of the road
- building new bus bays on both sides of the highway, east of Racecourse Road, to improve access to public transport
- removing the right turn movement out of Primewest Rutherford to improve traffic flow and safety for motorists entering the highway from the commercial precinct. This movement will become left in and left out only and motorists wanting to travel east after exiting Primewest can do so by using the roundabout located on Anambah Road
- considering introducing parking restrictions along the service road to maintain large vehicle movements into adjacent properties.
Work is being carried out between 7am and 6pm from Monday to Friday and between 8am and 1pm on Saturday.
Some work will need to be carried out at night between 6pm and 7am from Sunday to Friday. Night work will be carried out from Sunday 26 April to Sunday 3 May, weather permitting. The community will be notified of dates of future night work as the project progresses.
Work is expected to be completed in 10 months, weather permitting.
There will be some temporary traffic changes to ensure the work zone is safe. Lane closures and a 40 km/h speed limit will be in place during work hours and motorists may experience delays.
During night work, a detour may be in place via Racecourse Road and Shipley Drive. Traffic control will help motorists move through the construction site.
From Sunday 19 April, the right turn movement out of Primewest Rutherford will be permanently removed and parking restrictions will be in place along the service road.
Transport sought feedback from the community and stakeholders on the proposal in September 2020. Thank you to everyone who took time to provide feedback.
A total of 61 submissions were received during the consultation period and included concerns about:
- pedestrian, cyclist and motorist safety along this section of the highway
- current 60km/h speed limit along this section of the highway
- traffic flow and congestion at the Racecourse Road and Anambah Road roundabouts
- potential impacts of changes to the right turn movement out of Primewest Rutherford for customers and businesses
- better outcome could be achieved by installing traffic lights at Primewest Rutherford
- prioritisation of this project over other traffic congestion and safety issues in Maitland.
A Community Consultation Report summarising the comments, responses and details of the decision is available to view or download (PDF, 705Kb).
March 2020 project notification
Start of work - Upgrade of the New England Highway, Rutherford.
February 2020 project notification
Upgrade of the New England Highway, Rutherford from March 2020.
September 2019 project notification
Have your say on proposed upgrade of the New England Highway, Rutherford.
For more information about this project, please contact:
Phone: 02 4908 7735
Mail: Paul Galvin, Transport for NSW, Locked Bag 2030, Newcastle 2300 NSW.