The Australian and NSW governments have committed funding to upgrade the Newell Highway between Mungle Back Creek and Boggabilla in Northern NSW. This will improve safety for motorists and reduce future maintenance requirements. The project includes major work on 18 kilometres of new road pavement, 3.5 metre wide lanes in each direction, intersection improvements, widening of road shoulders and provision of two new overtaking lanes.
NOV 2018Traffic switched to new section
Work started in November 2018 and is progressing well with traffic being switched onto a new 1.3 kilometre section of highway. The milestone includes an upgrade to the largest intersection on the project, where the road has been widened to accommodate large trucks and a new dedicated turning lane, travelling south into Letterbox Road complete.More information
The upgrade will also include a one metre wide centre line to allow more room between vehicles, and improve safety along this important section of road, which is known for being narrow and uneven.
The project will take around three years to complete. During construction speed will be restricted to 40km/h, 60km/h and 80km/h at different times. Please allow extra travel time and follow the direction of traffic controllers and signs. Work will take place from Monday to Friday between 7am and 6pm.
Roads and Maritime Services thanks motorists for their patience during this important upgrade work.
Roads and Maritime awarded the construction contract for this major project to Fulton Hogan Construction Pty Ltd, in August 2018.
- Increase travel reliability between Mungle Back Creek and Boggabilla
- Reduce travel times and the cost of maintenancealong the Newell Highway
- Improve road safety for road users
- Provide a new road surface to meet the existing and future freight needs along this section of the Newell
- Improve the Newell Highway flood immunity where feasible and reasonable
- Support regional and local economic development.
The upgrade of the Newell highway between Mungle Back Creek and Boggabilla would include:
- provide a new road surface
- widen the existing highway or construct a new two lane highway adjacent to the existing highway
- provide dedicated overtaking lanes
- upgrade intersections
- improve access to private property
- provide road delineation, sign posting and roadside furniture
- upgrade drainage to improve the Newell Highway flood immunity when feasible and reasonable.
The project objectives are to:
- increase travel reliability and reduce travel times on the Newell Highway
- reduce vehicle operating costs on the Newell Highway
- reduce the costs of maintaining the Newell Highway
- improve the safety of the Newell Highway
- improve freight efficiency.
Other supporting objectives are to:
- ensure route development meets the standards required of the National Land Transport Network
- develop a proposal that contributes to the economic development of the region and improves transport efficiency on this section of the Newell Highway in terms of travel time and vehicle operating costs
- ensure that all potential impacts of the proposal on the local community are assessed and appropriate mitigation measures are developed
- ensure broad road safety objectives are met by reducing the crash rate along the Newell Highway
- ensure an adequate level of service for existing and predicted traffic volumes
- ensure route development minimises the impact on environmentally sensitive areas and that appropriate mitigation measures are included in the proposal to manage any impact
- ensure stakeholder involvement in all phases of the proposal development
- ensure compatibility of the road network and the long-term land use planning for the area.
View or download the project map.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone:1800 741 636