The NSW Government has proposed a road network to support the forecast growth in the North West Growth Area. Over the next ten years, 33,000 homes will be provided in the area and once fully developed, the area will be home to around 250,000 people.
The area surrounding Riverstone is an integral part of the North West Growth Area and the expected increase in population and development will mean significantly more traffic in the area.
The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment (DPIE) has granted Special Infrastructure Contribution (SIC) funding for Roads and Maritime to undertake the planning
of Garfield Road East and West. This will support planning for the release of the Marsden Park North, West Schofileds and Riverstone East Precincts.
Upgrading the Garfield Road corridor is part of the North West Growth Centre Road Network Strategy long term works.
The overall Garfield Road corridor is 7.2 kilometres and has been split into three sections:, .
- Garfield Road East corridor extends 3.2 kilometres between Piccadilly Street, Riverstone and Winsdor Road, Box Hill
- Garfield Road central extending 800 metres between Piccadilly Street and Denmark Road, Riverstone
- Garfield Road West corridor extending 3.2 kilometres between Richmond Road, Marsden Park and Denmark Road, Riverstone
Roads and Maritime Services is planning for the future upgrade of Garfield Road East and Garfield Road West corridors to facilitate development of land surrounding the corridor.
Further planning for Garfield Road central is subject to funding availability and Roads and Maritime will carry out community consultation at that time.
SEP 2019Community information sessions
Roads and Maritime held a number of community sessions in July and August to help inform our future road plans in the North West Growth Area.
We invited feedback until the 16 August 2019 and where applicable we are contacting individual residents to discuss their concerns.
We will keep the community informed as the design progresses.
In the meantime if you have any questions please contact us on:
- Email: riverstoneNWGC@rms.nsw.gov.au.
- Phone: 1300 367 561.
Benefits of the upgrades include:
- Improving road capacity to meet future traffic growth
- Supporting residential and employment growth
- Improving freight productivity
- Improving road safety
- Improving connectivity between RichmondRoad and Windsor Road.
Key features of the upgrades include:
- Upgrading the existing two lane road to a four lane divided road, with capacity to widen to six lanes in future, if required
- Upgrading the flood resilience
- Upgrading and realigning the existing road to improve road safety
- Providing a new bridge over First Ponds Creek (Garfield Road East) and Eastern Creek (Garfield Road West)
- Traffic signals would be installed at key intersections
- Providing facilities for pedestrians and cyclists
- Providing bus priority at the new intersections.
View or download theGarfield Road East and Garfield Road West Corridor - alignment.
July 2019 community update
Garfield Road East and West Upgrades – Planning Underway.
July 2015 community update
Road Network Strategy for the North West Growth Centre confirmed.
November 2014 community update
Proposed road network strategy for the North West Growth Centre.
August 2014 community update
Riverstone railway level crossing removal.
November 2013 community update
Riverstone railway level crossing removal.
April 2016 project notification
Start of work on new traffic lights at the Westminster Street and Railway Terrace intersection, Schofields from Tuesday 12 April 2016.
July 2015 project notification
Have youur say on new traffic lights at the intersectionn of Westminster Street and Railwaay Terrace, Schofields.
March 2015 project notification
Night work on Westminster Street and Railway Terrace, Schofields from Monday 16 March 2015.
January 2016 community consultation report
Westminster Street and Railway Terrace intersection upgrade, Schofields North West Growth Centre Short-term Traffic Improvement Projects.
November 2014 summary report
North West Growth Centre and Riverstone Corridor Traffic Study.
August 2014 community consultation report
Riverstone railway crossing.
November 2013 community consultation report
Removal of the railway level crossing at Riverstone.
For more information, contact the project team:
Phone: 1300 367 561
Mail: Riverstone NWGC, Roads and Maritime Services, PO Box 973 Parramatta CBD NSW 2124.