The NSW Government has proposed a road network to support the forecast growth in the North West Growth Area. Over the next ten years, 33,000 homes will be provided in the area and once fully developed, the area will be home to around 250,000 people.
AUG 2019Community feedback
Roads and Maritime held a number of community sessions in July and August to help inform our future road plans in the North West Growth Area.
We invited feedback until the 16 August 2019 and where applicable we are contacting individual residents to discuss their concerns.
We will keep the community informed as the design progresses.
In the meantime if you have any questions please contact us on:
- Email: riverstoneNWGC@rms.nsw.gov.au.
- Phone: 1300 367 561.
Roads and Maritime has released community updates for the following North West Growth Centre Road Network Strategy projects in planning:
The area surrounding Riverstone is an integral part of the North West Growth Area and the expected increase in population and development will mean significantly more traffic in the area. This will result in increased congestion on the overall road network, including on Garfield Road and around the existing railway level crossing at Riverstone.
During consultation in 2013 and 2014, Roads and Maritime sought community feedback on three options for a railway overpass at Garfield Road, Castlereagh Street and Loftus Street. The community highlighted their concerns about the current traffic congestion in Riverstone and heavy vehicles travelling through the town centre. Roads and Maritime also received feedback about the location of an overpass on community amenity, local businesses, schools and property.
In response to the community’s comments, Roads and Maritime expanded the scope of the project and proposed a road network to support development and address traffic congestion and heavy vehicle movements in North West Growth Area and Riverstone.
The proposed road network was released in November 2014 for public consultation and a Community Consultation Report summarising the feedback received and the responses from Roads and Maritime is available in the project documents page.
The proposed road network was confirmed by the NSW Government in July 2015.
The proposed road network upgrades would include:
- improving traffic flow within the Riverstone Town Centre and access to the Westminster Street bridge, in the short-term (completed in September 2016)
- completing construction of Schofields Road between Windsor Road and Richmond Road by 2018 to link the Rouse Hill and Marsden Park town centres
- planning to build a link road from the intersection of Garfield Road West and Denmark Road, Riverstone to the Westminster Street bridge, Schofields – in the short-term
- planning for the Bandon Road underpass of the railway line and a new road connection between Richmond and Windsor roads
- planning for the upgrade of Garfield Road between Richmond Road and Windsor Road
- planning for a grade-separated railway crossing along the Garfield Road corridor at Riverstone.
The road network proposed by Roads and Maritime identified the number and location of Richmond railway line crossings necessary to effectively manage traffic across the North West Growth Area.
The proposed road network:
- addresses the feedback Roads and Maritime received from the community within the North West Growth Area
- supports immediate needs and long-term impacts of the North West Growth Area
- was developed based on the findings of a traffic and transportation study
- includes input received from key stakeholders including representatives of the Department of Planning and Environment, Transport for NSW, Blacktown City Council, Hawkesbury City Council and Roads and Maritime, along with the Member for Riverstone
- identifies the need for five grade-separated crossings of the Richmond rail line:
- Bandon Road, Vineyard (currently a level-crossing of the rail line)
- Garfield Road, Riverstone (currently a level-crossing of the rail line)
- Westminster Street bridge, Schofields (existing two lane local bridge)
- Schofields Road, Schofields (in construction as part of the Schofields Road upgrade)
- Burdekin Road and Townson Road, Quakers Hill (proposed by Blacktown City Council).
The North West Growth Area road network also includes existing Roads and Maritime projects Schofields Road Upgrade and extension and the Richmond Road Upgrade.
View or download the North West Growth Area road network map.
For further information about this project, contact:
Phone: 1300 367 561
Mail: Riverstone NWGC, Roads and Maritime Services, PO Box 973 Parramatta CBD NSW 2124.