The NSW Government is upgrading the roads around the Northern Beaches Hospital to provide customers with a better travel experience, increased capacity on the road network and improved access through the area.
MAR 2020Opening Warringah Road underpass to traffic
The opening of the underpass will occur over two weekends, weather permitting:
- Saturday 28 March 2020 - open Warringah Road underpass eastbound and westbound lanes
- Saturday 4 April 2020 - open Warringah Road underpass on ramp at Wakehurst Parkway
For more information see the Warringah Road underpass open to traffic project notification (PDF, 856Kb).
Warringah Road underpass
A number of construction activities can only take place after the underpass is open to traffic. This will take a few months to complete and we are on track to complete the project in mid‑2020, weather permitting.
When fully operational the 1.3 kilometre long underpass will enable through traffic on Warringah Road to bypass three sets of traffic lights at Forest Way, Hilmer Street and Wakehurst Parkway.
Saturday 28 March
From Saturday night 28 March, the underpass will open to eastbound traffic at the entrance near Fitzpatrick Avenue.
From Sunday morning 29 March, the underpass will open to westbound traffic at the entrance west of Allambie Road.
At this time:
- the Warringah Road underpass on ramp at Wakehurst Parkway will be closed
- Warringah Road westbound surface lanes on approach to Wakehurst Parkway will be reduced to two lanes
- Warringah Road eastbound surface lanes on approach to Forest Way will be reduced to two lanes
- motorists using the Forest Way slip lane to Warringah Road eastbound will enter Warringah Road in an added lane - no merge will be required at that point.
Saturday 4 April
From Saturday night 4 April, the intersection of Warringah Road and Wakehurst Parkway will be rearranged to its final configuration.
The Wakehurst Parkway intersection will include:
- two right turn lanes from Wakehurst Parkway southbound into the underpass westbound and one right turn lane for road users who wish to continue on the surface lanes
- two left turn lanes from Wakehurst Parkway northbound into the underpass westbound and one left turn lane for road users who wish to continue on the surface lanes
- one right turn lane from Wakehurst Parkway northbound to Warringah Road eastbound.
Saturday 18 April
From Saturday night 18 April, the intersection of Warringah Road and Forest Way will be rearranged to its final configuration.
The Forest Way intersection will include:
- three right turn lanes from Warringah Road westbound to Forest Way northbound
- one through lane for Warringah Road westbound
Road users will not be able to enter the underpass from Forest Way.
Temporary lane closures will be in place during the opening of the underpass.
Delays may occur along Warringah Road, Wakehurst Parkway and Forest Way. Motorists are encouraged to plan ahead and allow extra travel time.
Temporary traffic changes are needed to ensure the safety of workers and road users and may affect travel times. Please keep to speed limits and follow the direction of traffic controllers and signs. For the latest traffic updates, you can call 132 701, visit the Live Traffic NSW website or download the Live Traffic NSW app.
Pedestrian access will be maintained at all time and bus routes will not be impacted.