Roads and Maritime Services is planning for a new four lane bridge over the Shoalhaven River, upgraded intersections and additional lanes on the Princes Highway. The project would improve traffic flow and ease congestion on a major section of the Princes Highway and deliver faster and more reliable journeys within the Nowra-Bomaderry area.
The NSW and Australian Governments have each committed $155 million to the project.
AUG 2019Have your say – Night work scheduling
During July and early August 2019, we asked the community for their views and expectations on night work scheduling. Thank you to everyone who participated in our online survey and those that attended one of the community drop in sessions.
The feedback received during this consultation period will ensure the project’s night work program can be scheduled in line with community expectations.
Although the consultation period is now closed, we still welcome community feedback at any time. We will keep the community informed as planning for the Nowra Bridge project progresses.More information
Environmental assessment and concept design
Roads and Maritime Services displayed the environmental assessment and concept design of the Nowra Bridge Project in August and September 2018. During the display of the Review of Environmental Factors, 109 submissions were received from individuals, community and business groups, and other Government agencies.
Roads and Maritime has prepared a Submissions Report to respond to all submissions received. This report provides a summary of the submissions and our responses to the issues that were raised. The Submissions Report (PDF, 19.8Mb) also outlines changes to the concept design based on the community’s feedback.
Roads and Maritime will soon be reviewing tenders received as part of the Request for Tenders for the detailed design and construction of the project. It is expected that the successful contractor will be announced in the first half of 2020.
This project is being developed to improve conditions on the Princes Highway over the Shoalhaven River in Nowra.
During early investigations, the project team identified some key issues with the current crossing of the Shoalhaven River at Nowra:
- Increasing maintenance difficulties with the old Nowra Bridge
- Increasing congestion issues in peak times from local traffic
- Some large and heavy trucks cannot use the old Nowra Bridge
- High risk of damage and closure of the old Nowra Bridge from an impact by an over height vehicle
- Increased demand and future traffic growth
- Higher than state average annual crash rates on the Princes Highway leading up to the bridge.
Around 50,000 vehicles cross the Shoalhaven River on an average day. Any extensive closures of the truss bridge due to maintenance or emergency repairs would cause major delays to the network around Nowra. During early planning it became clear that the project should focus on a new bridge that could address these key issues.
Based on multiple options assessment exercises a preferred option for the project was determined and put on display for community feedback between 19 February 2018 and 23 March 2018.
The preferred option includes:
- A new northbound four lane bridge
- Reconfiguration of the existing concrete bridge to carry southbound traffic
- Intersection upgrades at Illaroo Road, Bolong Road and Bridge Road
- New Pleasant Way T-intersection
- Keeping the old southbound bridge for pedestrians and cyclists.
Key benefits include:
- Improved safety, capacity and efficiency across the Shoalhaven River
- Improved freight movements and access to the South Coast
- Better traffic flow now and in the future
- Improved pedestrian connectivity
- Preserving the heritage of the old southbound bridge
More information on the preferred option can be found in the Nowra Bridge project preferred option report or in the Frequently Asked Questions.
May 2019 community feedback summary
Nowra Bridge project – Princes Highway upgrade.
May 2019 options assessment overview
Why this option of the Nowra Bridge project was chosen.
August 2018 environmental assessment overview
Nowra Bridge Project – Princes Highway upgrade.
August 2018 aerial diagram of concept design
Nowra Bridge Project – Princes Highway Upgrade.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: 1800 331 713 (toll free)
Mail: Nowra Bridge Project, PO Box 477 Wollongong NSW 2520.