The NSW Government is investing $3 million for planning and investigations for a bypass of Picton town centre.
DEC 2018Planning progresses
Roads and Maritime Services is progressing with planning for a proposed bypass of Picton.
Initial planning activities carried out since August 2018 include:
- Traffic surveys
- Preliminary environmental investigations
- Asking the community about their experiences travelling around the Picton area.
We thank those who took the time to submit comments, which can still be viewed online.
Key topics raised during this consultation included congestion and safety concerns on Victoria Bridge/ Prince Street and support and suggestions for a bypass of Picton.
The information provided will be considered as Roads and Maritime progresses with planning for a bypass of Picton.
For more information please see the December 2018 project update (PDF, 369Kb).
- Now traffic data has been collected we can begin to carry out more detailed traffic analysis
- This will include building a traffic model of the current road network and using it to help assess options for a proposed bypass
- We expect to consult the community on potential options in 2019.
Traffic congestion is occurring in Picton town centre during peak times due to vehicles travelling between towns such as Thirlmere and Tahmoor, the Hume Motorway and the Illawarra region.
A bypass of Picton is being planned to ease congestion through Picton and provide an alternative route for heavy vehicles by linking Remembrance Driveway with the Hume Highway, via Picton Road.
- Reduce traffic congestion in Picton and improve amenity for the local community
- Provide an alternative and more direct route between Remembrance Driveway and the Hume Highway, via Picton Road, especially for heavy vehicles
- Improve safety and increase journey reliability for road users.
We asked the community to provide information about their experiences travelling around the Picton area via an online mapping tool.
We thank all who took the time to submit comments. You can still view the comments via this link - Launch the online consultation tool.
Key issues raised by the community included:
- Support and suggestions for a bypass of Picton
- Congestion being experienced on roads around Picton
- Victoria Bridge and Prince Street – including congestion, safety, heavy vehicles
- Concerns about road safety and vehicle speeds
- Heavy vehicles travelling through the Picton area
- Protecting the local environmental and heritage.
This information will be considered as we progress with planning for a bypass of Picton.
For more information please see the consultation report (PDF, 227Kb).
For more information please contact
Phone: 1800 270 726