We are building a roundabout at the intersection of the Princes Highway and Island Point Road in Tomerong to improve safety, traffic efficiency and connectivity around the Bay and Basin area. The NSW Government has committed $960 million to upgrading the Princes Highway south of Nowra. We are committed to maintaining the Princes Highway while the upgrade is in development, including the delivery of the Princes Highway and Island Point Road intersection upgrade.
SEP 2020Major work continues, only left turn into Island Point Road
From Monday 7 September, only the left turn into Island Point Road will be allowed. All other turns in and out of Island Point road will be restricted and motorists will be required to use the designated detour routes.More information
These traffic changes will be in place for four weeks, weather permitting, until the roundabout structure is complete.
Detours will be in place during the closure of Island Point Road. Detours include:
- Motorists travelling north along the Princes Highway onto Island Point Road will be required to travel via Wool Road. This will add an extra three minutes, or about two kilometres, to journeys.
- Motorists requiring access to the Princes Highway from Island Point Road will be required to take Hawken Road if travelling north or Wool Road if travelling south.
Transport for NSW thanks motorists for their patience during this time.
In recent years, the intersection has seen increased traffic volume due to a growth in residential development and tourist visitation in and around the Bay and Basin area. Prior to starting the construction of the roundabout, we carried out a range of works aimed at improving safety and efficiency on this section of the highway including:
- In 2015, extended the median to improve visibility for motorists turning out of Island Point Road.
- Reduced speed limit to 80km/h as a result, resulting in fewer traffic conflicts
- Ongoing investigation work including traffic modelling, design options, geotechnical survey and environmental assessments
- Consultation with the community. Key concerns raised were driver behaviour, speed and visibility issues and geometry of the intersection.
- Following community consultation, we carried out more options assessments and traffic modelling before finalising the preferred design.
Roads and Maritime sought feedback from the local community regarding the intersection.
327 responses were received, revealing that
- Key concerns raised by the community were driver behaviour, speed, visibility and geometry of the intersection
- 60% of responses reported they had or had seen others experiencing difficulty using the intersection, turning right out of Island Point Road was identified as the movement causing the most concern
- 56% of responses proposed intersection improvements. These included adjusted turning movements, installation of a roundabout and improved line marking
Roads and Maritime thanks the community for taking the time to provide their feedback.
The community will have the opportunity to provide further feedback on the project when the Review of Environmental Factors is released for consultation in 2019.
Following community feedback, Roads and Maritime considered several upgrade options for this intersection, including the introduction of traffic lights, reconfiguring the existing intersection and a flyover or overpass.
An options assessment and traffic modelling was then undertaken, identifying a roundabout with a free-flowing northbound lane as the preferred option.
Traffic calming, line marking and improved signage and increased lighting will also be installed at the intersection.
Installing a roundabout at this location is aimed at:
- treating the severity and incidence of crashes at the intersection
- Managing approaching speeds
- reducing the number of potential points of conflict for road users and queue lengths, and improving traffic flow and intersection performance.
|March 2020 Island Point Road roundabout installation submissions report||786Kb|
August 2019 review of environmental factors report
Island Point Road Roundabout Installation
For more information about this project please contact the project team:
Phone: 1800 975 333