The NSW Government is planning to upgrade 3.6 kilometres of Prospect Highway between Reservoir Road, Prospect and St Martins Crescent, Blacktown.
JUN 2019Project funding
The NSW Government has committed funding for the Prospect Highway upgrade in Blacktown.
- Contract award: 2020
- Start date of construction: 2020, weather permitting
- Project cost: Project cost will be available once the contract is awarded.
Roads and Maritime Services will upgrade Prospect Highway between Reservoir Road, Prospect and St Martins Crescent, Blacktown.
Prospect Highway is a major roadway through western Sydney which connects motorists with the M4 Motorway, the Great Western Highway, Old Windsor Road and the M2 Motorway. Around 35,000 vehicles currently use the Prospect Highway each day, including 5000 heavy vehicles.
Prospect Highway between Reservoir Road, Prospect and St Martins Crescent, Blacktown is currently an undivided two lane road (one lane in each direction) which causes congestion and delays for motorists.
Benefits of the upgrade include:
- Improving safety and access for local and through traffic
- Improving safety for cyclists and pedestrians
- Improving travel times and reducing congestion on Prospect Highway between Blacktown and the M4 Motorway
- Supporting public transport with kerbside bus lanes
- Supporting freight movement.
The key features of Prospect Highway upgrade include:
- Upgrading to a four lane divided road from an undivided two lane road
- Duplicating the bridges over M4 Motorway and Great Western Highway
- A new two way link road between Great Western Highway and Prospect Highway, with traffic lights at each end of the new road
- New traffic lights at:
- Stoddart Road
- M4 Motorway eastbound entry and exit ramps
- Reservoir Road
- Changing access arrangements at:
- Tudor Avenue
- Roger Place
- Vesuvius Street
- Ponds Road
- Upgrading the existing shared path on the western side of Prospect Highway between M4 Motorway and Blacktown Road
- Installing a kerbside bus lane in each direction between Lancelot Street and north of St Martins Crescent.
- Providing a kiss-and-ride facility for Shelly Public School within the school grounds
- Modifying the intersection at Hadrian Avenue and Keyworth Drive to provide a roundabout
- Changing the posted speed limit on Prospect Highway between Reservoir Road and Blacktown Road, from 60km/h to 70km/h.
Planning for this project is now complete and the project is moving into construction. A construction contract is expected in be awarded in the 2020.
You may notice some investigations and minor works taking place along the alignment in the lead up to major construction. We will continue to work with individual property owners and keep the community informed on the progress of the project.
For further information about this project contact:
Phone: 1300 660 275