The Australian and NSW Governments are improving traffic conditions at key intersections on approach to Richmond Bridge. These upgrades project will improve travel times and traffic flows for North Richmond and Richmond road users during peak periods.
DEC 2019March and Bosworth Streets intersection upgrade
We carried out investigation work in November and December at the intersection of March and Bosworth Streets, Richmond.More information
This included surveying, potholing and minor excavations to check the conditions of underground services and surrounding vegetation.
For more information view the November 2019 project notification (PDF, 360Kb).
The Australian and NSW Governments are aiming to reduce congestion on Kurrajong Road, March Street and Bells Line of Road approaches to Richmond Bridge. The Australian Government has provided $18 million in funding to improve traffic conditions at three intersections in three stages:
Stage 1 - Kurrajong Road and Old Kurrajong Road, Richmond - Project complete
The upgrade included:
- Widening to create a dedicated right turn lane from Kurrajong Road onto Old Kurrajong Road for motorists travelling south
- creating a dedicated left turn lane from Old Kurrajong Road onto Kurrajong Road including an acceleration lane to improve traffic flow.
Stage 2 - Bells Line of Road and Grose Vale Road, North Richmond - Project complete
The upgrade included:
- creating two westbound lanes on Bells Line of Road from Pitt Lane to ease congestion for motorists crossing the Hawkesbury River into North Richmond
- providing a second right turn lane onto Bells Line of Road by widening Grose Vale Road to improve traffic flow towards Richmond
- extending each Bells Line of Road right turn lane onto Terrace Road and Grose Vale Road to reduce travel times for road users travelling between Richmond and North Richmond upgrading pedestrian crossings to improve safety for pedestrians.
Stage 3 - March Street and Bosworth Street, Richmond
March and Bosworth Streets is stage 3 of these improvements, with property adjustment and utility relocation work expected to start in January 2020.
The upgrade includes:
- a new dedicated right turn bay for vehicles travelling east on March Street and turning right to travel south on Bosworth Street
- no right turn from March Street onto Bosworth Street for vehicles travelling north
- removal of parking spaces on March Street to the east and west of the intersection
- extending the ‘No Stopping’ zones on both sides of March Street between Chapel Street and approximately 100m east of Bosworth Street during peak periods and weekends.
Previous community consultation for work at this intersection was completed between 2012 and 2016. More information about this consultation can be found in the project documents listed below.
- Ease congestion
- Improve traffic flow
- Increase road user and pedestrian safety
- Lower travel times
In August 2014, Roads and Maritime invited feedback from local businesses, residents and stakeholders on Stage 1, which involves upgrading the intersection at Kurrajong Road, March Street and Old Kurrajong Road, Richmond.
Following assessment of this feedback, Roads and Maritime proceeded with the project. A copy of the community consultation report for the proposal which summarises the comments, responses and details of the decision has been released. A community consultation report for the proposed night work schedule for Stage 2 at the intersection of Bells Line of Road and Grose Vale Road, North Richmond has also been prepared.
We will be updating you as we progress to the next stage of this project.
North Richmond upgrade map
View or download the design map.
View or download the locality map.
November 2019 project notification
Investigation work on March and Bosworth Streets, Richmond from 18 November.
July 2019 project notification
Intersection upgrade completed in North Richmond.
March 2019 project notification
Work continuing on intersections upgrades in North Richmond.
December 2017 project update
Work resuming at the intersection of Bells Line of Road and Grose Vale Road/Terrace Road, North Richmond from Monday 8 January 2018.
July 2017 project update
Improvements to the intersection of Bells Line of Road and Grose Vale Road/Terrace Road, North Richmond.
August 2016 project notification
Richmond intersection improvements – Stage 2 Bells Line of Road and Grose Vale Road, North Richmond.
July 2016 project notification
Richmond Intersection Improvements – Stage 2 March Street and Bosworth Street, Richmond.
For further information about this project contact DownerMouchel on:
Phone: 1800 332 660