Kings Highway Road Safety Review
In 2012 the NSW Centre for Road Safety and Roads and Maritime Services carried out a route safety review of 117 km of the Kings Highway between the Princes Highway roundabout at Batemans Bay and the eastern most part of the ACT border just north of Bungendore.
After consultation with the community the Kings Highway safety review was finalised and released in March 2013.
The report recommends that road safety outcomes would be best achieved by implementing a combination of engineering, behavioural and police enforcement programs.
The review investigated:
- Fatal and injury crashes
- Road safety engineering issues
- Current speed limits and speed zones
- Driver behaviour issues such as speeding, drink driving and driver fatigue
- Heavy vehicle issues.
Community members and stakeholders were invited to submit their feedback on the review through an online issues mapping tool, in community workshops and by email and post.
Feedback was collected on:
- Locations on the Kings Highway where road safety is a problem
- Locations of near miss or unreported accidents
- General road safety concerns on the Kings Highway
- The proposed treatments for the Kings Highway near Braidwood
As part of the consultation process a community workshop was held in both Bungendore and Batemans Bay.
As a result of the safety review, Roads and Maritime Services developed an ongoing strategy of safety programs and works for the Kings Highway. A number of projects have been completed, and others are underway.
Safety improvement works include:
Road safety engineering works
Including upgrades and improvements to:
- Clear zones
- Road alignment
- Speed zones
- Line marking
- Road intersections and junctions
- Road shoulders
- School bus facilities
- Overtaking lanes.
Road user behaviour programs
- Speeding drivers
- Driver fatigue, distraction and inattention
- Drink drivers
- Road user information
- Police and Roads and Maritime Service enforcement.
Increasing the current enforcement program
- Speed enforcement
- Speed camera enforcement
- Driver fatigue and drink driving education.