The Australian and NSW governments are jointly funding the $18.6 million upgrade and replacement of the Lansdowne Bridge over the Mulwaree River, Goulburn.
The new bridge and road approaches will provide additional features and benefits including:
- Improving road user safety due to wider traffic lanes, improved road approaches and providing a shared path across the new bridge
- A new intersection between Bungonia Road and Forbes Street to the east of the bridge
- Reducing expensive and ongoing maintenance costs and providing a new asset with low maintenance costs fit for purpose for 100 years
- Eliminating potential for lead contamination of the waterway from the deteriorating paintwork on the bridge
- Minimising disruption to the community in the long term as the bridge will no longer need to be closed for frequent maintenance
- Providing access for heavy vehicles to use the bridge
- Recycling of timber to be used by industry.
There are several alternative detour routes available until the replacement bridge is built. For more information view the detour map.
Motorists are advised to add an additional three minutes to journey times.
- Light and heavy vehicles travelling from Windellama or Bungonia can use Brisbane Grove and Braidwood roads to access Goulburn
- Light vehicles can also use Forbes Street and Park Road to access to the town centre
- Drivers are reminded the rail underpass on Park Road has a height restriction of 3.1 metres.
- In low level flooding events, light vehicles can use Forbes Street and Hetherington Street to access North Goulburn
- Light vehicles can also use Memorial Road and Hetherington Street to access North Goulburn
- For the safety of motorists the speed limit on the detour route via Brisbane Grove Road has been reduced to 80km/h.
Motorists are advised to never drive through flood waters and to follow the advice of emergency services during storm events, including observing all temporary road closures due to flooding.
View an image of the new Lansdowne Bridge, showing key features of the replacement bridge, including new road approaches to the bridge on Bungonia Road and intersection improvements at Forbes Street (looking south east).
For more information view the December 2018 Project Update.