Princes Highway & Island Point Road intersection improvements at Tomerong
Roads and Maritime Services is planning a safety upgrade at the intersection of the Princes Highway and Island Point Road, Tomerong to improve safety for road users and reduce the likelihood of crashes at the intersection.
Updates and announcements
Roads and Maritime is currently undertaking Survey and geotechnical work to better understand the environment and underground utilities at the intersection. This work will help inform a Review of Environmental Factors, which will be on display for community feedback in 2019.
Roads and Maritime is currently undertaking Survey and geotechnical work to better understand the environment and underground utilities at the intersection.
This work will help inform a Review of Environmental Factors, which will be on display for community feedback in 2019.
The intersection provides access to St Georges Basin and Sanctuary Point, popular South Coast tourist destinations that see high traffic volumes during holiday periods.
Changes were made to the intersection in 2015 to extend the median, improving visibility for motorists turning out of Island Point Road.
In 2016 the speed limit of the southbound lane was reduced to 80km/h. Crash statistics indicate that this has improved road user safety at this location.
Following community consultation in 2017, investigation work including traffic modelling and an assessment of design options were completed.
Roads and Maritime sought feedback from the local community regarding the intersection.
327 responses were received, revealing that
- Key concerns raised by the community were driver behaviour, speed, visibility and geometry of the intersection
- 60% of responses reported they had or had seen others experiencing difficulty using the intersection, turning right out of Island Point Road was identified as the movement causing the most concern
- 56% of responses proposed intersection improvements. These included adjusted turning movements, installation of a roundabout and improved line marking
Roads and Maritime thanks the community for taking the time to provide their feedback.
The community will have the opportunity to provide further feedback on the project when the Review of Environmental Factors is released for consultation in 2019.
Following community feedback, Roads and Maritime considered several upgrade options for this intersection, including the introduction of traffic lights, reconfiguring the existing intersection and a flyover or overpass.
An options assessment and traffic modelling was then undertaken, identifying a roundabout with a free-flowing northbound lane as the preferred option.
Traffic calming, line marking and improved signage and increased lighting will also be installed at the intersection.
Installing a roundabout at this location is aimed at:
- treating the severity and incidence of crashes at the intersection
- Managing approaching speeds
- reducing the number of potential points of conflict for road users and queue lengths, and improving traffic flow and intersection performance.
A Review of Environmental Factors is currently being prepared. The community will have the chance to provide further feedback on the Island Point Road intersection improvements when the document is released for public consultation in 2019.