The NSW Government has funded the Gateway to the South bus improvements program. The program aims to improve the reliability of bus services on southern Sydney’s main bus corridors.
Transport for NSW has identified some ways to improve the reliability of buses along the Miranda to Bankstown via South Hurstville bus corridor.
Transport for NSW, in Roads and Maritime Services in consultation with bus operators and local councils are proposing to make changes to some bus stops on Woniora Road and King Georges Road in South Hurstville. The proposed changes to bus stops are mainly serviced by bus routes 970 and 971.
These changes support Future Transport Strategy 2056, which is the NSW government’s plan to deliver the future transport network. In this plan, a key customer outcome is safety and performance, which seeks to ensure that every customer enjoys safe travel across a high performing and efficient network. It also reflects what our customers tell us about bus services, with travel time and on time running being some of the most important service features.
The proposed bus stop changes aim to strike a balance between maintaining a reasonable walking distance to bus stops (i.e. within a 400 metre radius or an average five minute walk) and an efficient bus network.
Making adjustments to the number of bus stops along a bus corridor also helps improve bus travel times. Each bus stop location is considered with a focus on the safety of bus customers and motorists.
Key outcomes of the bus stop changes include:
- making travel times more reliable for bus customers
- improving customer and motorist safety for bus operations
- contributing to the NSW Government’s target of 95 per cent on time running bus services.
As part of this program, Transport for NSW and Roads and Maritime are proposing to make changes to the following bus stops:
Woniora Road, South Hurstville
The bus stop changes Woniora Road and Culwulla Street, South Hurstville would include:
- removal of the bus stop northbound ID 222151 at Culwulla Street, as there are alternative bus stops within 140m and 350m and reinstate two unrestricted parking spaces.
King Georges Road, South Hurstville
The bus stop changes on King Georges Road would include:
- removal of the southbound bus stops ID 222136 at Grosvenor Road and ID 222137 at Tavistock Road as there are alternative bus stops within 110m and 200m. Replace with ‘No Stopping’
- removal of northbound bus stop ID 2221137 opposite Grosvenor Road as there are alternative bus stops within 200m and 300m. Replace with ‘No Stopping’.
The bus stop changes on King Georges Road near Cooleen Street would include:
- removal of the southbound bus stop ID 222140, opposite Cooleen Street as there are alternative bus stops within 160m and 270m. Replace with ‘No Stopping’
- Removal of the northbound bus stop ID 222192 approaching Cooleen Street as there are alternative bus stops within 110m and 260m. Replace with ‘No Stopping’.
We welcome your comments on these bus stop changes by Friday 13 December 2019.
You can provide your comments by:
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Writing to the bus priority team at:
PO Box 973, Parramatta CBD NSW 2124
- Phoning 1800 575 250
Register your email with us to receive future community updates about this project.
If you have any questions or would like more information please contact the bus priority team on:
- Phone: 1800 575 250
- Email: email@example.com