Showground Road, Castle Hill upgrade
Roads and Maritime Services is upgrading Showground Road between Kentwell Avenue and Pennant Street, Castle Hill to reduce congestion, increase traffic capacity to meet the predicted growth from development in the area and improve safety for all road users.
Roads and Maritime has engaged Burton Contractors Pty Ltd as the contractor to deliver this critical upgrade. Construction will be carried out from May 2019 and is expected to complete in early 2020.
The Showground Road upgrade between Carrington Road and Kentwell Avenue was completed in 2018. The upgrade of the section between Kentwell Avenue and Pennant Street was initially included in the original project. However, it was postponed to understand the extent of development proposals in the area, particularly Castle Towers.
Key features of the upgrade
The key features of the upgrade include:
- widening Showground Road to four lanes between Kentwell Avenue and Pennant Street with additional turning lanes
- upgrading the intersection of Showground Road and Pennant Street to include additional turning lanes and bus priority measure
- new traffic lights at the intersection of Showground Road and Cheriton Avenue
- new footpaths on both sides of the road
As part of the current upgrade project, Roads and Maritime will permanently close access between Kentwell Avenue and Showground Road to maintain safety and traffic flow.
Access between Cheriton Avenue and Showground Road will be closed to all traffic during construction. Detour will be in place for all vehicles during road closure.
Roads and Maritime is committed to working with the community and will try to minimise the impact to nearby properties and traffic while work is carried out.
It will be necessary to work at night to ensure the safety of motorists and workers and minimise the impact on the road network. Residents and businesses will be informed before any night work starts. Access to properties will be maintained during construction.
Standard working hours on the project will be between 7am and 6pm from Monday to Friday and between 8am and 1pm on Saturdays.
Community will be notified before any work outside of the standard working hours is required.
The disruptions may include:
- noise and dust
- traffic changes such as contra-flows and detours
- traffic delays, including additional heavy vehicles on the roads
- night work
- driveway realignment for several residents on Showground Road
- major utility relocations in and around Showground Road.